Warning

Member Removed

This weeks Sea Angler (p145) has a letter from David Caulfield of Penn Trading Ltd warning of a scam going around E Bay.

Penn reels are being offered, normally on a 1 day auction, at low prices from China, payment is made via Western Union or Bank Transfer which are non refundable.

There are other makes involved, not just Penn so be warned.

If it seems to good to be true then it probably is!!!

Neil

If anyone on EBay asks for payment using Western Union or bank transfer then they should be avoided - QED.

Exactly correct regarding if it seems to good to be true then it probably is.

The other scam to watch for is people buying goods you have for sale and wanting to send more than the value of the item in exchange for money + item. Invariably, the cheque / payment they have sent will bounce ( It appearing in your account is not sufficient to mean it wont bounce either ).

Up to

This weeks Sea Angler (p145) has a letter from David Caulfield of Penn Trading Ltd warning of a scam going around E Bay.

Penn reels are being offered, normally on a 1 day auction, at low prices from China, payment is made via Western Union or Bank Transfer which are non refundable.

There are other makes involved, not just Penn so be warned.

If it seems to good to be true then it probably is!!!

Neil

Ebay have now banned the use of Western Union money transfers I believe, certainly there are very firm warnings against useing them and other BAXT transfers. Ebay is safe however and as said has indemnity up to

I spotted those auctions back in Nov, big Penn reels which sells at Ebay USA for around $1000 being advertised for peanuts from China. Seller has no +ve fb, and the seller has only been a Ebay member for weeks and not sold or bought anything until the Penn reels, you have got to be suspicios, if a deal looks to good to be true, it's probably a fake.

Using Paypal does not entitle you to compensation automatically. They have to be approved seller or something, symbol of paypal next to their listing. I bought a reel protector from someone before x'mas for

It can work!

Paypal is owned / operated by ebay.......... and they do work with credit card companies.

Last year I Paypal..ed for a couple of reels from the US.......... and they never arrived; the seller emailed me copies of his posting and customs forms and I forwarded them to my credit card.

I received an instant refund on my credit account......... but a week later got rude emails from seller because Paypal had taken the money off him !! .. he was right shitty with me !!

Five months later the reels were returned to him ......... so a fault in the post somewhere . As a gesture of goodwill, I shared the post costs with seller and harmony was restored.

This has been the only hiccup in my ebay experience....... but was glad I used my credit card, with their 'built - in' insurance

Alun, only if the seller has open his Paypal account to both make and receive payments, ie., using a credit card, otherwise he could have just opened an account with a bank account to receive the money. This way he's long gone after emptying his bank account.

Another OH so simple scam. As a sometime seller,you are e-mailed to ask if you will accept paypal for some item which you may or may not be offering for sale.

If your advert already shows that you accept paypal ,why would anyone ask ?,

I sent one of these to e-bay who say its a scam...dont answer it.! I dont know what someone could gain from this but they obviously do..I get 2 or 3 of these per month....ignore them...

Another OH so simple scam. As a sometime seller,you are e-mailed to ask if you will accept paypal for some item which you may or may not be offering for sale.

If your advert already shows that you accept paypal ,why would anyone ask ?,

I sent one of these to e-bay who say its a scam...dont answer it.! I dont know what someone could gain from this but they obviously do..I get 2 or 3 of these per month....ignore them...

The scam is ........ In the body of their fake email is an invitation to 'Join Paypal now' . Clicking it leads you on to the scammers site which looks like a genuine regestering site for paypal and you are asked to load your debit/credit card details. You are promptly robbed!

The best defence is to load the Ebay tool bar this has built in scam protection and warns you if you are not on a genuine Ebay or Paypal site.

Mad Mike

Jack,

They ( the scammers) probably want to confirm your e-mail address ( easy enough to send them one though with a different e-mail address to the one registered to e-bay though.

and having read Mike's email another thing to beware of is e-mails containing fake links or links to fake sites.

There is a "quiz" I had somewhere to show how these work, I will try to dig it out as it is a good learning experience.

Having a bash selling one or two things on Ebay at the moment and you really do get some "interesting" questions that really don't appear genuine.

I am just replying politely with the technical info about the product and directing people to PayPal after.

Oh boy Tom have you got it right about odd questions and total nutters. Just sold a hot tub. Adverrtised on ebay with complete set of colour pictures........ Question from nut case...What colour is it? blink.gif

Mad Mike