Phil Deller

hi all

i have been boat fishing from poole for about 20 years

from charter boats and have caught some verry nice

fish(luck more than skill)then 2 years ago i decided to

buy my own boat(which was always my dream)i have

now been fishing from poole for the past 2 years with

some success but to be honest have not got a clue what

to fish for how to fish for it and most of all where to fish.

the only advise i have had is from the tackle shop in

poole which doesnt seem that good,is there anywhere on

this site that can point me in the right direction.

ps last october i caught a 17 pound thornback on poole

patch(is this a good size or do they grow to a much larger size)

hope you can help

thanks phil

From my limited experience, there is no real shortcut to gaining the experience you want. HOWEVER, having been a member of this most excellent club for about 18 months, I can tell you that my knowledge and skill base has increased exponentially with the amount of time I have spent mixing with the members and fishing in their company, sometimes on a buddy basis. The more effort you put into meeting the members and being an active club member, the more you will get out of it. People have been kind enough to share techniques and marks with me, and I'm sure they will do the same for you. This will mostly be done in the secure club area of the site.

Good luck from one learner to another and I hope to meet you on the water sometime.

Terry B.

Hi Phill

Fishing is pants at the moment so not a lot to learn yet. As the year progresses you will see planned trips and rough areas discussed in the planning sections of the forum. Keep up to speed with whats being talked about and join the trips when you can. You would be welcome to buddy up with most club boats. Ask questions but don't expect the guys to give their favourite marks on the forum for all to see, PM's and emails are a better way to deal with that or use the club members only section.

Another route could be to go back through the previous years catch reports, that will tell you what to expect at differing times of the year and approximate areas. When you open a forum most will only show the last 30 days posts, go to the bottom of the page and you can specify how far back you wish to go. There are 2.5 years worth of reading and learning stored.

Shops are not really a good way of getting up to speed info. For 1 they have a vested interest and 2 most of them dont boat fish from small boats

The advice given by Kam and Terry is good, get involved, become active and the rest will follow....honestly...those that pay their money and then sit back and wait for the info to flow to them will be waiting a long time ph34r.gif

Your part of the best learning tool in Poole and probably the south coast cool.gif make the most of it

Martin

Hi Phil

I can echo Terry in his comments.

I have fished from Weymouth for about 15 years with reasonable success (some of the local technicques are still beyond me), but I am the first to admit I still have tonnes to learn.

When I moved to Poole back in the Summer I was persuaded to join the club by a couple of the guys that boat and work at the marina. Around the time I joined I moved my boat round to Poole for a few weeks that I had off work and the club helped me immensley in enjoying the fishing. The first few days out were poor, but as I listened and picked up tips I had some very successful trips out.

Listen, ask questions, join in the debate and you will become to really find the whole experience fulfilling. You may well even find that someone in the club asks a question and through your own experience you are the only one with the answer. That is when the whole thing begins to makes sense.

..The club is about sharing knowledge and experience with like minded friends.

Take it from me, it is one of the best bunch of guys you could want to get to know. We are all different, with different ways of life and opinions, but we all share a common objective.

Tom