Newcomer Seeks A Buddy Boat

Harry S

Hi, I'm a new boat owner who wants to do a first fishing trip on a weekend with some reasonable weather. Is there anyone willing to advise me or let me tag along? I can launch anywhere near Poole (I live in Oxford). I have a Warrior 165 MkI. I have plenty of offshore & coastal sailing experience but not much power boat and even less fishing. Any assistance would be appreciated by me and the RNLI.

You are more than welcome to tag along when/if I go out this coming weekend ( in fact I am banking on having some boat out there as I will be trialling my new engine, hopefully ).

Not sure which day I will be going out on yet - weather dependant.

I will be launching from Christchurch - Wick or Mudeford.

The fishing will not be so good for the next couple of months though.

Welcome Longbow, there are always boats going out from either X'church or Poole, as long as you don't mind the rough, as it can be quite hairy out there in Jan and Feb.

I think there are 2 other members trail their boat from Oxford/area. One from Witney and the other from Carterton (?)

Hi, I'm a new boat owner who wants to do a first fishing trip on a weekend with some reasonable weather. Is there anyone willing to advise me or let me tag along? I can launch anywhere near Poole (I live in Oxford). I have a Warrior 165 MkI. I have plenty of offshore & coastal sailing experience but not much power boat and even less fishing. Any assistance would be appreciated by me and the RNLI.

For a first trip sorta thing I would strongly recommend Poole. Christchurch is a nice launch and a picturesque harbour but a bitch of a run and bar on the way out.

In a boat you are well used to and in the close proximity of a chap like Paul (whoops there goes another prop) who knows the seasonal channel and on a nice summer day all will be fine. But on a chill late witer day with a bit of teeth in the wind I would say it's a no no.

However I am certain that when the time comes and the weather window is right you will find there will be someone from the club to come down (and have a laugh at your cockups) WHO SAID THAT?! What I mean of course is some one to come down and give you a guided tour and a hand or three. As for the fishing bit, well half of us have no idea and the other half just snigger at us with comments like OH ANOTHER 60lb bootstrap conger dry.gif They get booring afte awhile dry.gif

You can tell which half I'm in I bet biggrin.gif

Mad Mike

Thanks for the offers of help and the advice. I cannot make it at all this weekend - sorry Paul - hope your new engine is OK! I guess I will launch from Poole when I have the opportunity - is there a radio channel that the club always uses?

Now for a completely unrelated question - can I change my name on here?

Hi Longbow

Welcome to our clubs home on the web/net

Club members use vhf ch6 for communicating.

Regarding changing your forum name I don't think it can be done in your controls but if you let me know what your new name is to be I or one of the other moderators can change it for you

Martin

Maverick, thanks for the info - I will re-register as a new user to coincide with joining the club (and paying the subs!). You can delete this account - I didn't like the name anyway! I will return as Hook'n'Eye - the name of the boat. Over and out.

Hi Longbow

I have changed your name to Hook'n'Eye so no need to register. I have also approved the change in email addy. You might like to update your personal details which you can do from My Controls

Look forward to you joining our merry band of water borne fishers tongue.gif

Martin

Maverick - thanks for the name change - I will be changing back the email addy (sorry) - I was trying to be clever and re-register etc - no need now. Plaicemat has also been in touch who lives close by and has a Warrior 165 too - couldn't be better! Cheque is in the post - great club and I haven't even been near the sea yet! Regards, Harry

Maverick - thanks for the name change - I will be changing back the email addy (sorry) - I was trying to be clever and re-register etc - no need now. Plaicemat has also been in touch who lives close by and has a Warrior 165 too - couldn't be better! Cheque is in the post - great club and I haven't even been near the sea yet! Regards, Harry

Harry

No problem I have authorised the email change rolleyes.gif

Martin