Winter Pike Foray.

Swainiac

The time is right for a winter Pike trip on one of the fisheries I help maintain. The Salmon have spawned, and there appears little movement there, so I feel its ok to have a crack at the Pike.

Tactics we tried last year, were stormies, and livebaits, which we caught freely on the carriers. Fish caught were small jacks, but Adam and James hooked into a couple of "livelier" fish. The fishery holds very good Perch, in the four pound bracket.

Any takers?? So far I have Adam and Jimbob, Sam......can you do a Friday? If not, I'll arrange a second day, on the weekends. I have the Hi-Lux front axle in bits at the mo, so that takes priority, but can see a trip in the next two weeks or so.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Yes please.........if you have a weekend day over the next few weeks;

.....but I am off work for the week Feb. 13 - 17 [ half term] ; is that the same for you Sam?

I,d love a go for the perch, I haven't seen a decent one for decades!!

Alun.

Ok guys, there is plenty of enthusiasm here, so I will speak with the Riparian owner, and get permision for a few trips. One I will do on a friday, so Jimbob can escape to the river for a few hrs solace from the children, so I expect that trip will comprise of Adam, PJ, Jimbob, myself, and one other, and a second foray to comprise of Sam, Les L, (nice to hear from you Les, havn't seen you about in ages!), Dan and Dommy, (are you two best at weekends??), and Alun. Kam, can you do a friday?? The fishery is very close to Salisbury, just a few miles from High Post on the A335 to Amesbury, so travelling time back to Andover should be quite rapid Kam. We can meet you at Highpost, in the garage, if you like.

Sam, I'll bring a couple of fly rods, a smaller 6 weight, so you can get the hang of flicking, and a larger 9 weight, which is what you will use in the sea. We'll have you double hauling in no time!!!

The fishery is run as a catch and release, and I would like to see any trout taken on lures or small deadbaits returned please, but the pike will be removed, and either placed in other waters locally with EA permission, or euthanased.

Livebaits can be taken in the carriers that run off the Main river, we took dace, chub, although there are a few gudgeon, which are an excellent pike livebait. Due to the fact that there are no stocked fish on this fishery, I dont think it prudent to import small Rainbows for livebait, in case they do jump ship and survive!!

I'll speak with Anthony on monday, when he is back in London, and get permission, then make a definate date. What dates can you guys make??

Cheers lads, looking forward to it..........

Rich

oooooooooooops, how could I forget my old chutney ferret mate BB?? Billy, what day is best for you?? Also, if Sam can get closer to the main road, are you able to bring him closer to the rest of the group, that way, Charlie wont need to drive too far out of Poole? I'll speak on the blower soon I'm sure, anyway.

Rich

Hey Rich, the trip sounds superb.

I can make weekdays aswell with a week or so's notice so can get a day off work, but not sure about Dan. Saturdays will be better for both of us though as we both play footy on Sundays for the mighty Hordle Spurs.

Sounds brilliant.

Will also give me chance to meet some of you aswell.

Look forward to it.

Dom

Kam, I use a light spinning rod, and a small fixed spool, loaded with 15lb line, although you will need a trace of sorts, which I can sort out for you, also a larger float for a livebait, small stormies, or plugs, and away we go. Its pretty neolithic stuff, and certainly not rocket science, so I can us all enjoying a good session down there.

Rich