175 Test Ride??

Adam F

Is their anyone out there either registered on the forum or who uses the forum as a guest who owns or has access to a Warrior 175?

I am looking to upgrage my 165 shortly and before I make the move I would like to sea trial a 175.

Either post here or PM me if you can accomidate.

Cheers

Adam

Hi Adam

I really think the Warrior range are about as good as it gets when talking about open cuddy boats, but is the 175 going to offer a big enough jump for you?

Don't worry, this is not a sales pitch, all mine are pilot house style, but the 175 isn't that much bigger than your current boat....

Tom

Have ruled out going any bigger for the time being. Mooring fees, maintenance, lack of flexability....are all reasons.

Therfore I want to stay trailering. I still want to upgrade though and feel the 175 will give me just a little more range, useability and speed. Yes, you are right it isnt too much bigger than BW - 1' longer, 6" on the beam...but it will ride with 90-115HP, has integral fuel tanks, self draining decks etc...so these all add up to quite a bit more than the 165. Whilst BW copes fine with my general inshore work I would like to venture to the ripps and offhsore wrecks a little more often and hopefully the 175 will give me this.

Bottom line - I think I will gain more from this jump than by going to a big heavy moored boat where I think whilst I will gain several things I will loose more...if that makes sense?

AF

Hi Adam,

I looked hard at the 175 last year. Had a test drive with Paul at the S'oton Show and had a good nosey round them at the factory too. They are a lot bigger on the water than you'd think given the specs, loads of extra room. The biggest plus from my point of view was the ride. We were running at nearly 30 knots through very jumbled chop from all the boats flying about and it was incredibly smooth compared to the hammering you'd have got from a 165 under the same conditions.

On the other hand, with that raised deck it is a very long stretch down to the water, though I guess if you've been on Maverick you'll know about that. It is also a very much heavier boat on the road and when pushing it around on the drive. Not good news when my car and my back, respectively, are already nearing their limits. Plus there's two sets of brakes to look after (I think. Do twin axle trailers have twin sets of brakes or just one?).

Didn't meet my needs then, but I'd be very confident to take one 20 miles out and if reach and weight are not issues for you, damn fine (and damn expensive) boat.

For a test drive, why not ring Paul and see if he can put you onto a local owner??

Steve

. Plus there's two sets of brakes to look after (I think. Do twin axle trailers have twin sets of brakes or just one?).

Don't think you would have to have a twin axle trailer. My trailerable boat weighs nearly 1.5 tonne and sits happily on her Bramber single axle trailer.

Adam, I do take your point about ease of use and were not aware of all the extra benefits that the 175 has over the 165.

Integral fuel tanks alone, sells it for me.

Height above the water shouldn't be an issue really. When you think how high most of the charter boys are, it just means you need to lean a tincy bit further.

How much is the 175 complete package and what do you get?

Tom

Someone I know has a 175 with 2*50hp on the back, he frequently fishes 3 on board without any problems. Been out with him once and he outran Sweet Honey on the old Mercury 100.

I will ask him if he mind letting you have a ride on his boat when I see him, the only thing is I think he only fish in the summer.

Adam

Phone Paul at Warrior on 01257 277444. He will find you an owner near to us who would take you out for a spin, that's exactly what I did when looking for a 195 and got a ride in Lymo.

Regarding size they appear quite a bit larger than the 165. The cuddy is pushed as far forward as they could to leave a huge deck area which is near as large as the 195. You will not need a twin axle trailer, they sit comfortably on a single axle.

As you know I thought about changing Maverick down to the 175 and I still may do that. Maverick is nice to fish from but she is very heavy for trailing.

The last quotes I had ranged from about 18K with a 115. Paul at Warrior stated that I would not be happy with a 90 on the back and he is probably right. The extra hp means you can cruise at lower revs and maybe save some fuel or go flat out when conditions permit and burn loadsa fuel rolleyes.gif

Martin

Martin.....size wise, does the 175 sit the same as the 195 on the water? I dont see fishing on Maverick too different to fishing on Blue warrior, except the deck space, and of course the height she sits on the trailer. Integral fuel tanks is a huge bonus, especially with fishing farther afield, what sort of all up weight does one expect from this size boat and trailer......perhaps Tom can advise me on this.

With looking for a new house with driveway, it sees im a tad closer to owning my own boat, and would certainly look at a 175.

Rich

Steve: Just as I thought, and good to hear that from a fellow 165 owner.

Tom: they sit on a single axle roller coaster. A new package is about 18K, a little out of budget next year so Ill be looking for a second hand one (rocking horse poo) with a 115hp for about 15k...there has been a few for sale this last 6 months.

Kam: That would be great if you could arrange for me?

Martin: I agree, the 115hp is THE engine. After having the 60 on BW I wont make the mistake of under powering a boat again, the fact you can cruise at half throttle is the main advantage to me. I had considered hunting a 2nd hand 195 down, but room on the drive, and towing weight put me off - the 175 sits nicely between both.

Rich: 165 = 16.5' 175 = 17.5' and the 195 = 19.5'

The 175 and the 195 sit about the same height from the water due to the self draining deck which the 165 doesnt have. Total weight of the 175 package would be just over 1500kgs from the research I have done - just within the legal towing weight of my car.

Plan is to sell BW just after Xmas and then sit on the cash until a 175 comes along....

AF

Rich

Adam will have a much better idea of all up weight than me as he is familiar with the boat, but real approximation without any specs etc is:

Boat 750Kg

115 Suzuki 189Kg

Fuel 90Kg

Fishing Tackle Anchor & Junk etc 150Kg

Trailer 450Kg

The engine is the only one I know the actual weight of, the rest are guesswork.

Fairly expensive package Adam. I hope that it is worth the money.

Tom

...comapared to what? Considering a decent 165 is 11-12K, it is another 3K potentially, may be less...I cant think of any other 17' sports boat with a 100+hp engine that stands head and shoulders above the rest - IMHO all small boats such as this hold a similar share of the market?

...comapared to what? Considering a decent 165 is 11-12K, it is another 3K potentially, may be less...I cant think of any other 17' sports boat with a 100+hp engine that stands head and shoulders above the rest - IMHO all small boats such as this hold a similar share of the market?

Adam

IMHO, as far as Open Cuddy fisher's go you own and are looking to upgrade within the best brand there is.

My point was simply about it seeming quite a pricey pakage compared to the miriad (some very VERY good and some considerably less good) of other styles on the market in that sort of size range.

Centre Console models offer an enormous amount of all round space and generally exceptional storage, but only offer the protection of a small screen. Pilot House models (IMHO don't get one less than 17.5' as they are too small) offer tonnes more comfort and protection with huge storage, but loose a bit on open deck space, although most will have bags of room for three. With the correct engine choice, both "alternative" styles will also offer very good levels of performance and economy. In addition, depending on brand, they will also offer all the sea keeping of the Warrior.

You are buying the best of the style you like and that is fantastic, my point was that Warrior's, being the best in their class, are expensive with many other styles of boat coming in at the same or less money, but equally as good in their respective class and almost always offering the benefits of built in fuel tanks, self draining decks, good freeboard too.

You really enjoy your 165 and undoubtedly will love your 175.

Tom

Hi Adam

Have you thought of the Raider 18?

There are a number of originals out there and seem to offer the best of both worlds, deck space, trailerable, weather protection and capable of bad weather.

I know someone who has one and goes out in all sorts of conditions yet finds it very safe and comforable.

Just thought I would throw another in the pot so to speak. wink.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

I have, and I must admit the ones with the bulkhead and double seating arrangement look very good, full standing height, full glass screen etc..

However, whilst the ride is good, I dont think it can compare to the Warrior's medium V hull.

Good thought though, and I will have a serious look at them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

Like you I wanted to change to a trailable size offshore boat and downsize from my Arvor 21 to avoid marina fees and running costs. In the end I went for a Raider 18 which is a fabulous boat for trailing and getting offshore. I would expect the Warrior 175 to be very similar, however, one thing that I soon found with trailering an 18 footer is that my front wheel drive Vectra was useless on wet and steep slipways. It was OK for a 16 ft boat, but that increase in size makes quite a difference, I now have a 4x4. Unless you already have one, be warned!

P.S. Ive just joined PBSBAC so if you go for the 175 I look forward to seeing you out there next year.

Gordon

Hi Fugazi,

Good news that you have joined the club - look forward to meeting you. Interesting that you seem to have done the research also, and would love the chance to have a ride in the R 18 ?

At the moment I am still looking for a 175, unless something changes my mind!

Where are you based?

Adam

Hi Adam,

I'm based in Wimborne and launch at Christchurch and Poole. Another reason for changing to a trailable boat was being able to visit other venues further afield like Portland, West Bay and the Solent area. My last two boats were both Arvors, 18ft and 21ft, but too heavy and slow so limiting fishing area. I need to get offshore and back quick as I'm also a diver and the wrecks are all a fair way out.

I wont be able to get out over the Christmas period due to family commitments but I'll let you know in the new year about a trip out.

Gordon