Lulworth Banks

munterhunter

Lulworth Banks – Due to the lack of daytime fish we are planning to look further field and do a reccy’ for marks which may be good to fish for bigger smoothhounds, tope and rays in the summer and work out how long how much fuel etc it takes to get there. Was thinking of the Lulworth banks, has anyone got any experience/suggestions of marks here or what to look for on the fishfinder or marks closer which could be worth looking at or areas not to go to/dangerous tide races etc!

Paul,

According to the articles I've read, and from what Charlie has told me, it is a place to avoid.

Dive Dorset says it's a terrifying place to be when the tide is running, especially when it is wind against tide. If you look at the charts, there are warnings of "overfalls" on the west and east-flowing streams. Even on a calm day it is a place to keep well clear of.

The ledge stretches out to sea from St Aldhelm's Head for a distance of almost 5 miles in a SW direction at a level of about 20m. Either side there are drops to 40m and 60m with sheer cliff edges in some places, which cause the tidal stream to rear up and form a mass of violent waves.

Boats use two passages to navigate the ledge. You either go far out to sea and go around it, or you can take the inside passage which is tight into the rocky headland.

Bob F.

MunterHunter,

Lulworth Banks are mass of rock structures with drop-offs and high bluffs with rock pinicles, around which large shoals of pollack and pouting swim. It's also the haunt of many wrasse, including the Cuckoo Wrasse.

On the edges are fingers of gravel areas which Plaice can be taken.

Depths over the bank vary from 9m to 21m on the gravel beds.

Tides can be quite strong at times.

Inshore there is Durdle Door - stay close for wrasse and anchor a 1/2 mile out for ray.

You can drift Bats Head reef for Bass or Pollack.

Mupe Rock - drift in close on the flood for Bass and Pollack.

Further out is Adamant Shoal and Ten Fatham Bank, but that's another story. rolleyes.gif

Bob F.

st albans overfalls are much worse on the flood tide due to the nature of the ledge at its shallowest it is only 10m deep on the west side there are two holes which drop to 60m causeing the bigger race the best time to fish the holes is on the flood because the race is down tide on the ebb you are right in the middle of it.

the description of the lulworth banks sound a bit romantic i have dived there on many occasions most is rock ledges and sandy patches with the shoals of pout and pollack around the wreck of the british inventor other wise dogfish all the wrasses the odd flattie and skate tides are comparatively week compared to other local spots i would liken it to the outer poole patch .

Tell me more about ten fathom bank and the adamant shoal???

I was lead to believe that St Albans is ok at certain states of tide?? Is it not only when the tide is flooding strongly that is the hazardous? Can you pass over ok, at other states??

Adam

You can safely pass over the ledge if there is no wind but it doesnt take much to stir things up. Wind against tide is obviously going to be the time to avoid it. You can also safely pass over the ledge if theres no tide running. I have though bricked myself and taken a soaking on more than one occasion, it can be a bit of a fair ground ride at times. You can obviously see if its passable before you get there so just take care and if it looks to rough it probably is. One tip is it tends to be a little better really close in or failing that go out and around it.

Martin