Photos of conger wanted

Bob F

bob have read the conger article a couple of thing to add the conger is general conger dont move to far from thier home they do move to deep water in cold weather as they are at the northern edge of their range and cannot tollerate cold water as they have a film of i think water in their eyes which freezes in the cold rendering them blind and unable to feed in the years ago during a cold snap many were washed up dead as aresult of this, thier food source ,despite the fact we all fish mainly with mackerel or squid ,is varied including crab, lobster pout dogfish etc anything that comes in range i had an eel of 73lb about 4years ago when brought aboard spat out a dogfish which merrily swam back to the depths(200ft+)another doggy was found when it was gutted , alternative bait????

The article and some intersesting views on this subject.

The inshore wrecks do hold quite a few conger that would beat the Club record. But remember that we tend to share them with divers during the warmer seasons and at slack water in daylight.

there is nothing that will stop a wreck fishing for conger like a boat load of divers arriving at the wreck to dive at slack. and the wreck will not fish for a long period after they have gone.

I used to get around this problem in a few ways:

1. Fish when the water is to cold for divers

2. Fish at night when it has been dark for several hours or very early in the morning

3. Fish a very small tide on a wreck for a few hours before slack tide and hope that the divers have the decency to move to another wreck when they arrive

[ Fat Chance ]

These do not always work but can give anglers who are not able or do not want to go out 20 miles a chance of some good sport.

The downside is:

1. Hard to get settled weather in winter

2. Fishing is harder at night, and so is getting the eel to the net or if you have to the gaff.

[ If the fight has not been as good as you thought, try shining a light at a good eel at night, but hold on to the rod and set the clutch, they get a bit excitable]

3. Not much chance of divers moving to leave you fishing, but fishing down to slack water can be productive and divers do sometimes try and stay at the other end of a wreck which can sometimes move the eels your way [not Often]

I will try and hook out a couple of photo's and scan them in Bob.

It may also be good to mention the fact that the Conger is one of only a few species that has its own fan Club

The British Conger Club is a well established Club based around the Plymouth area, you have to qualify to join so that gives it a little extra.

25lb shore, 30lb reef and 40lb wreck are the qualifying weights

They hold there own competitions and have a very impressive set of Trophies.

Several of our Members are or were Members and have enjoyed some good fishing with some very good anglers and boats at their Championships over the years. Sadly with the demise of the Plymouth charter fleet we have stopped going.

I will see if I can find any photo's

Tight lines

Charlie

THERE ARE PLENTY OF WRECKS WITHIN SIGHT OF BLIGHTY THAT ARE DEEP ENOUGH TO DETER ALL BUT THE MOST SERIOUS DIVERS BUT ALSO ARE NOT HALF WAY TO FRANCE AS IT HAPPENS THE LAST FEW YEARS I HAVE SEEN MORE DIVERS 30 MILES OUT THAN INSHORE ALSO THEY ARE A HANDY SOURCE OF INFO IN ALL THE YEARS IVE HAD A BOAT IVE ONLY HAD DIVERS ON THE SAME WRECK ONCE AND THEY ASKED FIRST IF IT WAS OK , THE LUCK OF THE DRAW I GUESS

No need to shout Peter,

I have had 4 encounters with Divers in the last 18 months all on wrecks. one team dived the other end of the sky but the others just ignored us.

I have even had them ask if they could go down my anchor warp to get them uptide of the wreck.

But as a lot of my numbers came from divers I do not mean to slag them all off just pass to others how I find it.

Kyarra, Start, Sky, Dagmar, Derna are well inshore all can fish but are also well dived. except at this time of year and middle of night.

Although I have had divers with night lights dive on one wreck I was on hours after dark.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Linking this thread with the one previous re. the divin site and wreck marks.

Just how many of the marks on: http://users.pandora.be/tree/wrecksite/_en...el?hide=visible

are available for us 'small' baot guys to fish?? The chart in the link doesnt show distances from land (?) so where should we be aiming?

Adam

it all depends on how far you want to set your self as a limit if you look at the latitude numbers each minute is one mile anvil pt is 50 35 n the avanti say is on 50 29 n so is 6miles offshore work it from there its up to the individual as i said before we have had a fletcher faro 18ft 36 miles out before . its just how brave /mad you are

The committee are always happy to have someone volunteer to pass knowledge and experiance on to the rest of us Members. biggrin.gif

It has been discussed before in your absence about getting you to do such a talk Peter, but we knew you are a very busy man.

If you have the time I am sure we would all benifit from such a talk

ARE YOU VOLUNTEERING? and when?

Charlie biggrin.gif

HOW PREDICTABLE ! i would if i could find time in between the four boats i have to build the one i skipper and makin t bars alderney rings and landin nets, not forgettin shytalk of course . im sure if anyone asked i wouyld point them in the right direction !!!!

I'll have a crack at the Plaice one bob.

It looks like ti takes a month to write a good article, you would have too much on your hands to do them all.

Leave this on to me...hopefully i will be an expert after next weekend!

Adam

Good man.

I have the graphic of the plaice to put on the front page like the Blonde and Conger articles, so I will add this for you.

Can you keep the article to the same subheadings as the Blonde article. It makes it easier when posting it on the web and keeps everything in the same format.

cheers

Bob F.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I've added Charlie's and Pete's comments to the Conger Species article.

Charlie, I'll add your comments about the Conger club later, along with your photos.

Thanks for your help.

Still got a section to add on tactics. I have the words, just need the time.