Saturday Night

plaicemat

Terry,

You have a PM. As for night fishing from Wick and in general, tell me if im teaching egg sucking, but here are my tips from experiance.

Have plenty of light - a headtorch is a must as it helps baiting up etc. A camping lantern or similar is also good - I have 2 x 12" flouro tubes in the cuddy of BW - whatever you do dont use a petrol or parrafin lamp - dangerous on a small boat at night.

The sole grounds are OK with regards to pot buoys but as you know Xchurch harbour is very shallow and at night the buoys are almost impossible to spot - we take a 1,000,000 candle power search lamp - using this in conjunction with the plotter ensures you stay in the channel.

It is worth radioing Solent CG on 73 to advise him of your passage plan - at least then if anything happens he knows you are out there - not essential during the day when other boats are around and you can be seen, but a different ball game at night.

But in general night fishing can be exceptional and pretty good fun too - be safe and let us know what you caught!

Adam

Thanx for that good advise, Adam. It is never wasted and always appreciated.

I have fitted a spotlight to the top of the cabin for navigation, a flourescent camping lamp connected to the battery with crocodile clips which will suspend from the roof and a L.E.D. torch that clips to the peak of my cap.

Very good thought about the Coastguard, I will definitely be doing that.

I am looking at Milford on Sea and Barton on Sea as a venue. Anything I ought to know?

You now have the numbers.

The spotlight you have on the top of the cuddy will probably be more of a hendernace then a help - the beam has a tendancy to reflect off the white cuddy roof, blind you and ruin your night vision. We steam back to the entrance using night sight only - its surprising what you can see at night when your eyes become adjusted. When in the harbour I get the crew to use the spot, but either held very high out og sight line or around the side of the cuddy.