Okuma Convector Reel

jack

I have been useing the Okuma Convector reel for about 5 trips,but it was never really tested {thats my kind of fishing } On our recent trip when we actually caught fish,I found that I could not fully tighten the clutch and had to resort to major thumb pressure to recover line.At home I dismantled the reel [keeping a step by step diagram of my working , I could'nt find my original paperwork ]

Everything looked in perfect order,although the arrangement of metal discs only,in the clutch seemed strange.I re-assembled only to find that I could not "snug down ". the final side plate. there seemed to be too many components. I re- assembled several times with the same result. The question is... Should I [a] Throw away some of the components ..or Throw away the reel and stick with my old,perfectly working,white end plate. Mitchell Reel .despite its heavier weight on the rod ?.or as a last resort,does anyone have an assembly diagram for this reel ?....jack

Jack, have you searched the web for the diagram of your model?? BoyBilly uses a site that gives exploded diagrams for most reels, so maybe search under recent posts on the forum, or give him a bell......his comp is playing up, so he may not pick up a PM.

As with all multipliers, dry off the clutch with a hairdryer before re-assembly, taking care not to get grease on the plates, this will ensure a super result, the reel will seem good as new. There are also some V good reel servicing guys who offer reliable turnaround.

I use Reel Care in southampton, 02380 777232, he charges

Thanks Fellas, That gives me plenty to go on before resorting to the bin. as I said the reel looks perfect inside,no wear or corrosion despite living in total neglect on the boat. But I do seem to remember giving it a thorough blast throughout with WD40 on the last but one trip,perhaps it reached parts that it should'nt have.I will have another crack at it... dry.gif jack

post-5-1124817018.gif

Jack, in all honesty, as Peter says, these reels appear to be constructed mainly of chocolate!! They really dont last, can seem an attractive option with bells and whistles at a meagre price, but really should be left alone.

You can't beat a quality reel, with quality gearing. Penn seem to have the thing sorted, as do shimano, these are the multipliers i would stick to.

Rich