Explorer Boats Gone Bust?

Seamouse

Hi folks,

I see on another forum that someone is claiming that Explorer boats have gone into liquidation. Quite a substantial rumour, given that the guy was giving out the contact details for the Receiver. Anyone got confirmation on that or details of what went wrong? They seemed to be selling well?

Steve

First I have heard - although I do know that they were aksing for the money for the materials up front when purchasing - not a goos sign, and the new Bass boat seems to have come to nothing???

I wouldnt be surprised - they always seem to have been in the shadow of the 165 IMO??

Right on, Adam.

When I was looking at boats in enquired about the Explorer and they were asking for a 50% deposit!! B@%%cks to that. So, I didn't go any farther.

It's a shame if they have gone bust, though. Less competition for Warrior means higher prices for us.

BF

Seahog Samurai uses the same hull mold as the Warrior 165. Same lay up too

Are you 100% sure on that Mike? I don't think there is any love lost between any of the small boat producers and would be suprised if they had collaborated on producing boats from exactly the same design..similar maybe

I don't think these hulls are 100% identical.

I seem to remember reading an article few years ago about the Warrior bought the mould from another boat builder. This was used on the earlier warriors. Warriors then revised the design for the neweer hulls.

Explorer later bought the mould from the original boatbuilder, but instead of building an identical hull, they altered the vee, which they claimed makes the boat steadier at speed.

Quote.......similar maybe

Damn semantics! biggrin.gif

OK then similar laugh.gif

However I think that as there are so many similar hulls varing in only minute detail such as upper hull strake width (the 10% quoted applies to the whole hull not just the waterline foot print) complacency as to their market place could well have been their problem. And there are other boats with virtualy identical hulls.

Mad Mike

I don't think there is any love lost between any of the small boat producers

I believe, though I don't know it for fact, that the guy heading Explorer boats is a former Warrior employee? Either way, talk to any of them at the shows, mention someone else's model in a favourable way and you'll soon see the competitive edge emerging ph34r.gif

Steve

Strictly speaking it isn't a copy of the warrior hull, cos warrior bought the design off someone else. So anyone can go to the original builder and buy the design off them.

Warrior, explorer, endevour (?),.......

Merry fisher, quicksilver, octoques(?), beneateau,

Even the Raider is based on the Shetland family 4 hull.

10% is correct i was always of the opinion that the warriors and the like were modifications of the old icelander hull as they all originate from the same corner of our green and pleasant land and the underwater lines all bear an uncanny resemblence to one another

10% is correct i was always of the opinion that the warriors and the like were modifications of the old icelander hull as they all originate from the same corner of our green and pleasant land and the underwater lines all bear an uncanny resemblence to one another

A good point and I think an acurate one too.

Mad Mike

Guest steve

the warrior is wider at the waterline and has five clinkers. the explorer has six, and the Vee of the hulls are NEARLY identical. the explorer and the endeavour came off the same plug, but the shape of the top of the endeavour was tidied up so that the explorer top would not fit the endeavour hull and vise versa...