What Tackle?

Member Removed

I guess it comes down to your budget, taste and your personal feel for the rod. We're all different.

Personally, I like the Ugly Stick range, including the spinning rods. I've tried Daiwa, Fladen and Abu, and managed to break them all. But the Ugly Sticks seem to be able to take some stick and have a lovely tippy action.

Another rod well worth looking at is the Penn Giller Thriller. This makes a really good all round rod that can be used for uptiding, downtiding, drifting, flatties, and I've even manged to bring a 40lb+ conger to the surface with it. Overall, this has become my favourite rod.

None of the above rods will break the bank and will last the course.

BF

Generally, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Search this site as we have covered this subject in depth before - use the 'Search' button at the top of the page.

Personel preferance is everything - I like long tippy rods with plenty of backbone, others like a through action - some dont care!

Go to a shop and buy or feel and then go online - Poingdestres in Shirley has a massive selection.

I use Abu Conolons, Diawa TDX's are popluar but both quite dear. The Fladen Solid C rods have been very popluar with our members this year and dont break the bank. As Bob said the Ugly Sticks has stood the test of time.

Adam

Skyliner, the shakespear ugly stick range carries the boast of being the worlds strongest blank. I would echo Bob F's words, as I use three of them, I have a 6-12lb class downtider, a 15lb class braid downtider and a 50lb class roller downtider. All three of these are superb. I dont do much uptiding, but my shimano was very cheap, and is ok for what i needed. Coupled with a couple of half decent multipliers, possibly from Alun J on this forum, he seems to get the cheapies in from planet cheapsville, you will be covering all the fishing ure after. Tight lines......and welcome back !!

Rich