Fly Rod Starter Packs

Sam

it is coming up to my birthday and i am getting 100pound because i did not know what to get and i am now thinking of a fly rod starter pack.

what should i be looking for in the starter pack i guessed rod and reel but should i be looking at ones with nets or fly boxes or what.

and also if anyone has any used ones they want to flog that could be a good idea.

also is there any lakes around poole area that are in riding distance on a bike or rivers.

sam

Sam,

Not too expert ( well not at all expert actually ! ) in fly fishing. However, I would suggest that the bulk of the cost should be in the rod and line and the least in the reel. ( The reel is really just used to hold the line and the rod used to play the fish ).

I stand to be corrected however.

You could probably make your own fly box easily enough and a net ( the small handled ones ) are pretty cheap - I will see if I can find the one I have, you are welcome to use it.

Seriously (If I can)

You might remember that I had my Red Letter Day, fly fishing with Charles Jardine, although it was a bit too basic (I can now tie a hook on) (and you wouldn't believe what he can do with a fly line) I have attached a beginners guide.

I have been an advocate that "a good quality 2nd hand is better than a cheapy new" and thats because the cheapy new, soon becomes a cheapy 2nd hand . Also cheapy new is ok when you don't know what you are doing, as soon as you get good then you realise the limitations of the equipment.

Have a look in the Fee Ads on line and I'm sure if you take your time and keep a look out for a bargain you will get all you need for 100 sponds

Good luck

http://www.adtrader.co.uk/postcode_splash.php

post-5-1116873344.ibf

Sam, this is usually a fun day out

Paul J

The very popular and successful Christchurch Angling Club Open Day event will be held at the Somerley Lake Fishery on Saturday 20th August 2005, commencing at 0930hrs.

This will be an excellent opportunity for those wishing to try angling for the first time and for those needing to improve their skills to be taught by licensed coaches and assistants in both coarse, game, and sea angling. All will be welcome on the day, children are particularly welcome.

Lessons will be available to all in the following disciplines:

Coarse Fishing

Fly Casting

Fly Dressing

Sea Fishing Casting

Regards rods and reels, don't rush into it, we'll talk and i'll take you out in the Whaler to have a flick one evening as soon as the weather improves

Paul J

wow thats big

i have just been practising in the garden and i can get it to land in a straight line on the ground

were is the best place to practise around poole with a chance of a fish would anybody be able to come with me to help me.

sam

Dan,

Me and the guys I used to fish with named the Walrus amongst others...I fished Somerley back when it was a decent lake and have had some cracking fish from there, alas many are now dead.

As for fly rods. I would have to disagree with much of what has been said. Whilst it is probably the most expensive type of fishing to do (day tickets are dear and if you thought running a boat was expensive try paying for a day / season on the Test!) BUT, kitting yourself out is probably the cheapest type of sport - mainly because you need very little.

A half decent rod needs to cost no more than 40-50 quid. A reel for

Blimey Adam, thats going back a few years. Its all a bit sad really Kam, nameing fish, but by remembering scale patterns etc you can follow them through the years watching them grow, so its easier to name the individual fish. Adam, Ive also has Mavis from there a while back(RIP). This can also be done with sea fish with a tagging programme, I think even a couple of the big skate are named as one angler has had the same tagged fish 3 or four years running in scotland.

Cant remember most of them....but, I had Mavis when she was a lower double!

The Canary, The Salmon, Dick's 26, Apples, Fag Packet, Fold Over Top Tail, and Bottom Tail, The Beast, The 1/2 linear, the 3/4 linear, Arfur.....wow, brings back old memories!

I have now sold most of my carp gear after not using it for 2/3 years, sad, but it just takes up too much time. I spend more nights during 1998 on the bank fishing in Ringwood than at home...of course I was single then, hence the reason I dont go anymore!