Buying Small Boat

Guest Mick

Hi everyone

I was hoping that someone may be able to give me some info on boatyards or brokers in the Poole area where i may be able to purchase a secondhand boat, i am looking to buy a boat of between 15 & 18 ft to use both for fishing, and some family leisure ( as long as i can still fish )

I would also like to join the PBSBAC if you let me know who to contact

Look forward to hearing from you

hi mick

you could always have a look in mitchells and latham boatyard down by baiter park.

if you want to join the club martin burt [maverick] will have all the information that you need and he will be able tohelp you out

what kind of boat you looking for what about a warrior there are a few members in the club who have got these and they are nice boats

sam

Hi everyone

I was hoping that someone may be able to give me some info on boatyards or brokers in the Poole area where i may be able to purchase a secondhand boat, i am looking to buy a boat of between 15 & 18 ft to use both for fishing, and some family leisure ( as long as i can still fish )

I would also like to join the PBSBAC if you let me know who to contact

Look forward to hearing from you

I am bound to attract some flack here but ....................

99% of Poole brokers are so far up their own ar5e that you will be wasting your time. Quotes given whilst looking for a new boat up to

Be patient Mick - it took me over 6 months to find my boat but it was well worth it - their is some real junk out there, but also some cracking bargins.

You have chosen a popluar boat and will not have a problem. I would guestimate that over the past year I have seen at least 5 alsakas a month for sale on the web.

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F61488/

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F60216/

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/ARU021/

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F60776/

Adam

Hi Mick

Take a look here Bob F owns an Alaska and has put some info on this thread.

You might try doing a search on this site.. click on search (magnifying glass)above here and to the right, type in your key words ie Alaska, from the search where box select all forums, from the drop down list in redefine select any date then select perform search . You will be surprised how many previous entries there have been

Martin

Mick,

I dont have any specific info on what to look for with an Alaska, but in general look for:

Stress cracks around the transom, areas on the hull that show signs of repair, ALWAYS insisit on seeing the engine running - in the water is preferable to on a hose but a hose is better than nothing, check the 'tell tale' water jet from the engine it should be cold except when the engine is turned off, check see how she idles, check the clarity of the oil, check the deck area of signs of spongeyness, crack or chips, same goes for where the cuddy joins the hull another weak spot.

Basically you can usually tell from the first few looks at a boat. If she is shiney clean and looks well maintained then it is a good sign, if she stinks of dead fish is filthy dirty and rusty then it indcates it hasnt been looked after - of course their are always exceptions to the rule!

Im happy to come and give a second opinion if you need.

Adam

If you can get hold of a compression gauge, do a compression test. Find out what compression the cylinder meant to be brand new, anything within 85-90% is ok, more the better.

Get hold of the leg and rock it forth and back, if play is excessive, leave well alone, as it can be expensive to replace the bushes.

Hi Adam

Thanks for the links i am going to look at this one tomorrow

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/ARU021/

do you know of any problems that i should look out for

Thanks again

Mick

Hi Mick, boat dealer I know just past S'oton has just phoned me about an immaculate Alaska. He was looking for one for me but I have since bought. Any way It's a white hulled one but Shetland made not Sea Hog. Full cokpit extentions and s/s frame. Nearly new brake back Snipe trailer and a 15 hp 2 year old four stroke honda. The engine is on the small side as the boat has only been used on the Thames (I think). I would work on selling the 15 and buying a bigger O/B at some point. Asking is

Hi guys

Thanks for all your input i looked at this one yesterday and have put deposit on her, she is a clean boat, but obviously used.

I will be picking it up in 2 to 3 weeks which will hopefully give me time to sort out moorings or storage, as i would prefer not to trail, if i can find mooring that would be preferable, the area that i am looking at is between Gosport and Poole, I am currently looking through internet for marinas to contact, does anyone know of any likely places

Thanks

Mick