Hello From Speciman (simon)

Speciman

Hi Everyone.

Been lurking around these forums for a while 'bout time I joined and said hello. Based in Bournemouth, I recently started kayak fishing having concentrated on shore fishing for a while. Have fished Poole Harbour & now that I have most of my safety gear together (VHF, flares, buoyancy aid, knife, gps, compass etc) will be looking to fish close inshore marks around here soon (tides and weather permitting). Still need to get a fish finder rigged up.

Also plan to fish inshore Solent Marks near Keyhaven and Pennington Marsh area. Have been out for paddles that way but not been fishing that way yet.

Nice site, lots of good info. The comps require a minimum of 2 anglers per boat -- thats me out -- I may have entered myself into one of the comps held in the more sheltered locations (ie Poole Harbour!).

Speciman (Simon)

Hi Simon and welcome

The inshore waters just inside the solent sounds a good bet

A rising tide at the end of a hot day, try stingray fishing with big worm baits.

then let us all know how fast a kayak can be towed by a fish wink.gifwink.gif

My experiance of canoe fishing were a little damp and cold. But that was a canadian canoe spinning for trout.

sitting back to back seemed to be a good idea, and made casting easier, untill we both leaned the same way and SPLASH.

Charlie

Thanks for the welcome + thanks for the tips Great White.. stingray from the solent is one of my target species this summer. Although I haven't had the pleasure of hooking a big enough fish to take me for a ride yet I'm hoping to a least try it out with a smoothhound this year. biggrin.gif

I'm going to try the swash channel with baited spoon next week if weather and tide is ok.. so far have fished inside the harbour but with little success -- new to this 'game' but I learn fast.. I guess the fishing is only going to get better from now on what with May just around the corner.

Hiya Simon, and welcome.

For stingers around the solent, have a mooch around the fringes along Pennington, just offshore in front of Lordy's bungalow, close in, bunch of worms, an hour before and two hrs after the tide, evenings best.....best of luck.......If I see you out there in a long skinny boat, I'll give u a wave!!

Rich

Hi Everyone.

Been lurking around these forums for a while 'bout time I joined and said hello. Based in Bournemouth, I recently started kayak fishing having concentrated on shore fishing for a while. Have fished Poole Harbour & now that I have most of my safety gear together (VHF, flares, buoyancy aid, knife, gps, compass etc) will be looking to fish close inshore marks around here soon (tides and weather permitting). Still need to get a fish finder rigged up.

Also plan to fish inshore Solent Marks near Keyhaven and Pennington Marsh area. Have been out for paddles that way but not been fishing that way yet.

Nice site, lots of good info. The comps require a minimum of 2 anglers per boat -- thats me out -- I may have entered myself into one of the comps held in the more sheltered locations (ie Poole Harbour!).

Speciman (Simon)

Hi Simon, I find your comments about Kyack/cyak/kyact/ ??? canoe fishing facinating. I would like to hear more, not that wild horses would persuade me to try it. laugh.gif

You must have to be very organised on the boat?

There are a couple of very effective methods that I think would suit kiyack(?) little narrow boat fishing in and around Poole harbour. PM me so I don't take web space up here if you want to know more.

Mad Mike

Thanks Mike it would be great if you could PM with some fishing info.

The style of kayak I have is a sit-on-top which is more suited to fishing compared to the sit-in-sides -- they tend to be much more stable (I can stand up on mine if I get my balance right in calm water!) and are easy to reenty should you fall in (which is rare unless you misjudge your surf entry/reentry or if have your boat parallel to a large wave!

http://www.oceankayak.com/anglers.html -- I have the Caper as featured on this page and its olive green (the rest of my gear is a lot brighter making it easier for boats to spot me!). Being only 11 foot its lightweight, & easy to 'car top'. If I can walk to the sea I can launch although a trolley is another item I still have to buy/make.

You're right you do have to be organised -- only now am I planning to do serious fishing from it.. so far I have mainly been out for paddles getting used to things. Each trip I make I learn what else I should bring and what I should leave behind.

If you're interested check out the US kayak fishing site http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com. The pictures within the gallery show how far you can go with rigging (some like to keep it simple -- each to their own). The gallery also shows just how stable the kayaks can be (some of the fish they catch over there are huge).

Kayak fishing has really taken off in the US.. its only now that the ball is starting to roll in the UK. Bournemouth Canoe Centre (Hamworthy) have taken a fair few orders for angling kayaks this year!