Second Hand Boats

Sam

hi guys

i dont know if any of you saw it in the bfm the orkney in the pink pages for 1000 pounds.

well this kind of took my fancy but not very trendy and a bit sluggish only being powered by 8hp and same size boat as neo.

does anybody know were i can have a look at any more for around the same price not looking for anything massive just for trips round and just outside the harbour.

thanks in advance

sam

Sam, there are lots of thing you gave to consider owning a boat.

Where is it going to be kept? On trailer? You can't drive which mean you 'd have to badger Charlie to to it. On Mooring? even if you get the fee pretty low, there are still expenses for a moored boat, like antifouling.

Can you get insurance? If not, Charlie will have to insure it and let you use it.

Only after you have answer all these questions then you can start looking for a boat.

There are plenty of small boat with/without cuddy, Dejon is one, nice little starter boat.

it wouldnt be for a while yet not until next year proberly

im just looking out of interest really maybe for one to launch without a car which will be easy coz then dad can just drop it off and he can go.

theres two boys in the yacht club that launch there own boat without there dad so maybe i could do that

sam

Sam, knocking up a launching dolly is a piece of pi55. Infact we could do it round mine in an afternoon. Cost probably zero. This would enable you to (if they would let you) keep your dinghy in the yard and trundle it down the slip and back whenever.

First boat, go for sea kindly and steady. You will always have more fun in your first boat than in any other you will subsequently own biggrin.gif

Do EVERYTING on the cheap, because this is the boat that you will learn how to fix things on, how to find the slack water and eddies that will help your little (seagull) engine push you against the tide. The boat that will decide whether you like to sit with the tiller on your left or your right, where you like your rod rest, why you wash the boat out when you get back not next week 'cos it pongs summat orrid! ohmy.gif.

How bigger dinghy do you want?

Mad Mike

post-6-1114431901.gif

thers boats kept dow in the yard down at dads work which are the same size as paul j boat on trailers and they launch thers without a car but i dont think they would let me keep it down there im not sure.

does anybody know any good makes of boat which i will be able to get second hand for not to much.

talking about 1k.

sam

Sam, it would probably take 2 blokes to hand launch the sort of boat Paul has, and you ain't one of them, not yet anyway.

We were on Maverick just off the Swanage (?) lifeboat house and thee was this little boy, early teen on a 10/12 max dingy with an outboard whizzing round/out to the rough water just outside.

Sam, for the type of fishing you want, you don't need a big boat, unless you are planning to go tope or conger fishing then I would say the the boat is a little too small.

I have seen people fishing on a rowing boat in the Solent and apparently there's a craze call Kayat fishing, fishing on a bloody kayat, if he can do it, you can do it too in a small boat. cool.gif

yeah im thinking about getting a bigger dinghy know maybe 12ft

yeah ask dad about his kayak experiences in new zealand, he went twice and fell in both times and then having to pick up all his tackle from the sea bed with his feet. abosulutly hilarious laugh.giflaugh.gif

sam

Sam for 2 or 3 (if they are not arsing around) 12 ft is fine. Stability and handling is more affected by beam though. A general rule for a safe stable dinghy is length divided by 3 = beam. So a 12 footer should have a beam of 4ft.

But now come the 'buts'. The formula above gives you safe and steady if it's sorta round bilge and anything over 8hp is a waste of money. It's speed will be governed by this formula ........ The square root of 1.5 X the water line length.

So given a waterline length of 11ft tell me (this is your home work sunshine and if you wanna get your arse on my new Samurai when it come I want the answer by Wednesdy dude!! tongue.gif ) the top speed it will ever be able to get to.

Next .. Let's say we have 12' X 4' but now with a flat or cathederal hull. This boat will be stable enough and it will skim over the water real fast with a 25hp engine BUT it will slam like a dustbin lid in anything of a chop and you will have to throttle down. Also the insurance will be high!

Aluminium boats are very popular in North America. Strong and durable but very light. Their main disadvantage is the dent easily and once dented they stay dented.

My advise is to stay with a displacement hull for your first boat. All the costs will be lower. The are happy with a low powered engine, they are a good sea boat, they are good carriers, they are very cheap to insure.

Don't bother with the make. Go for condition or even better look for a good project boat. GRP is easy to work with and boy can you learn a lot doing up a small boat. One can find (and not too difficultly) a good condition dinghy that looks cosmetically awfull and a few weeks work will do miracles.

The throwing money at it approach to boating will come later in life laugh.gif

I hope all this helps you........

Mad Mike

thanks mike and dave i will have a look at them websites

mike your making me do maths im not in school give me a brake laugh.gif

ive seen a few on boats and outboards but there all in wales and sussex i dont think dad would want to drive up there.

sam

Sam, "Tinnies".[aluminium ] is not a bad way to go.size for size..half the weight of anything equivalent,including inflatables. I have had 3. my 12'6" one, bought used in 1970, given to a mate in 1982 ,who used it fishing in the sea at weymouth weekly until `1998.when I bought it back from him, kept and used it until 2004 when I traded it to a dealer at sandbanks who sold it within 1 week,I still see it about. That boat was at least 35 years old and has never cost 1 penny in maintainence in its life. My 10', I had for 8 yrs, could carry it on my own [like a tortoise ] ran like hell on wheels with a 4hp engine,could be launched and retrieved single handed [ transom wheels would be even easier] would need an enormous impact to make a decent dent [and that can be knocked out with a hammer yourself ]. and was used in estuaries;poole harbour and out to the patch in very settled conditions,with just one on board.. Only drawback I ever found was it was vunerable to strong winds as its lightness could blow it about a bit. Very reasonable to buy used. often on e-bay around 500 or less....any questions just ask me...jack

Most tinnies only have a little front deck,just enough to stuff a bag with clothes and grub into, to keep dry. I fitted foreward steering on my 14' and a small blue canvas "dodger" I had made up in PVC with folding alloy frame.This kept off wind and spray,and would have helped with over the nose waves {but I never had any because you must never over-reach your boat by taking on sea conditions it was'nt designed for.}..Each of my tinnies had solid foam bouyancy built in,under the seats,This once proved very useful when I rolled it over "showing off " in heavy seas in Spain,I got help to pull it in,bailed it out and started again,,,I was even more daft then ,than I am now !! . P>S you could not expect to launch and recover a 14' boat on your own...even alluminium. jack

Sam you ought to wait for an answer before you fire the next question son biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I am not sure about keeping another boat here, GW causes enough moans

Its probably only a year or so before the GW will be available to you so no need to be to keen to get you own. just be keen to learn all you can while you wait.

Charlie

if im not mistaken that trio is the old capri 14 nice little boat that will plane two up (in a previous life when i was 3 stone lighter) with a 20 hp

tony

Yes I think you are right. It's suprising how often an existing hull design pops up with a differant name.

And the three stone lighter/another life remark rings so very true to me too! sad.gif

Mad Mike