Kimmeridge Slip - Now Gated !!!

Member Removed

Has anyone else seen that access to the slipway at Kimmeridge is now restricted by a new gate ? A notice says "Restricted Access, Gate Locked at Dusk". I enquired in the little marine aquarium at the top of the slipway. They said that there had been a lot of thefts and vandlism, hence the decision by the estate to install the gate. They also said that typically the gate was opened at about 08:00 each morning.

I asked who I might speak to about gaining a key to the gate. I was given the name of "Chichester's Land Agency" who are located in Wimborne, although the person I spoke to believed that keys were being very restricted. I am going to make some tentative enquiries on Tuesday. I say tentative, because I wonder whether a joint approach from our clubs ( I am a member of Poole Dolphins SAC) might be received better.

Whilst I can understand the estates' frustration over the thefts and vandlism, I must say that I am somewhat dismayed at the time restrictions that this now places on early morning launches or late evening sessions from Kimmeridge(assuming that it is not possible to obtain a key).

Does anyone else feel the same as I do ?

Regards

Neil Glover

I've not been to Kimmeridge before, so Chichester wotsit own the gate and land leading to the slip, do they also own the slipway?

Cos if they don't and access has been given to the slip in the past donkey's year, they have to, by law continue to provide access.

I don't think the public have a right of access, it's private land and they've always charged an entrance fee (although they don't bother to collect it during the winter).

The best option is to try to obtain a key, although I would have thought it unlikely, considering the number of diving clubs that use Kimmeridge.

Neil

Have a word with your clubs Chairman Chris. He is also Chairman of the Poole and District Sea angling Association. If the association applies this might stand more of a chance as they represent around 20 local clubs.

I take it you have Chris's contact details if not pm me and I'll send them over

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Good news I think. Dave and I launched from Kimmeridge this Sunday and whilst there spoke to another boat owner also about to launch. He said that the bay warden was typically opening the gate at about 06:00 each morning. The warden was also doing a number checks each evening and wouldn't shut the gate if it was clear from a trailer in the top car park that a boat was still out.

So it sounds like this new gate may not be much of a restriction after all.

I will keep you posted.

Incidently, no Bream yet, although there were a lot of fish showing on the sounder which we suspect were Bream.

Regards

Neil

Neil,

That's good news biggrin.gif I use kimmerage slip myself and was a bit worried after your post unsure.gif .

Interesting about the fish on the sounder,i was speaking to one of the poole charter skippers the other day and he mentioned about fish showing on the sounder that he couldnt catch.

He said they're probably male bream making their spawning pits, once they're done they start feeding,ready for the female bream to arrive. biggrin.gif

If I were you I would mark the spot and return in a couple of weeks, those first male fish in are normally pretty big ones ! biggrin.gif

James