Thought this is quite funny.....

Newboy

Well, the good old argument between 2 and 4 strokers. In the past, the argument is much more easily understood/debated. Old 2 strokes are thirsty and noisy, while 4 strokes are much quieter and fuel burns better so better economy. 2 strokes are lighter, so more hp per poundage, and servicing has traditionally been cheaper because there is anout a few dozen moving parts compare to the hundreds in a 4 stroke which need re place the oil plus a filter at the least.

With the banning of smoke producing i.e., polluting old 2 strokes over the pond in the US, manufacturers had to take note and to bring out new products to adhere to the new CARB regulations. They can do it by either using 4 stroke or Di-direct injection, where the fuel mixture (some use mixture, some use neat fuel) is injected directly into the cylinder. A cleaner burn is achieved and therefore less smoke/pollution.

In the clip, it's advertising the Etec engine, which is claimed to be better than any 4 strokes in every sense. No dealer service for the first 300 hours or 3 years, no run in period, using 40% less oil than older 2 strokes, cheaper to run, cheaper to service, better economy, as quiet as any 4 strokes,..... the list goes on. In a recent (2004) magazine test, they pitted the Etec against a Tohatsu TLDi, a Yammy 4 stroke, Honda 4 stroke and one other engine I can't remember. The Etec beat them in fuel economy, it's about as quiet or as noisy as the rest.

What gets me is over there they get 7 year warranty while we get 2 (may be 3) here.