Florida Fishing Holiday

Sea Legs

Considering booking a fishing holiday in Florida and a quick search brought up this option (several times) of a villa with boat included.

http://www.directvillasflorida.com/florida-villas/769-florida-villas-villa-sea-shells-with-23ft-boat.html

Considering the cost of even a shared daily charter boat it seems a bit of a bargain and I was wondering if anyone had experience of this particular option?

Any other recommended Florida fishing holiday/destination options? 

Many thanks.

I've got to go over for a couple of weeks again at the end of the month, I have to go fairly regularly and there are worse places to visit. Fishing's good too. That seems a fair option with a boat, all you need to do then is find some marks to fish. Paul Haynes of Warrior Boats has a nice house for 6 which is, I think, about £1800 for a fortnight. Doesn't include a boat but he has an arrangement with a local boat hire firm and there is a dock at the bottom of the garden; he will supply fishing marks.

Terry

Thanks for your feed back and I have managed to interest three work colleagues and requested a reservation for a couple of dates to try and synchronise flights. At a cost of £250 person for a week's accommodation, including boat, it compares favourably with fishing in Poole Bay! I hope it will be a bargain. I have fished in the Keys previously and found most professional skippers are tight lipped (as you would expect), but plenty of marks and advice from sports fishermen.

I did this a few years back. 

I suggest you look at the restrictions that you might find have not been fully explained.

We stayed in Cape Coral near to where you are going it takes about 1.5 hours to get out to open waters! 

We had to navigate through a number of Canals to get to the estuary - a zero wake zone - it means exactly that! and it is Policed. This meant a long trip just to get out to the estuary area. Then another large distance at reduced speed as it was a Manitee watch zone to get out to open water - which is past The bridge between Sanibel and Fort Myers.

When we finally got to the open sea - check your insurance! - you are restricted to within 3 miles of the Coast - unless you chance it - but if you do happen to breakdown it is very very expensive.

We found - like here - all the best fishing is offshore - so hired a Captain, who has the appropriate qualifications and insurance to take you out and catch some proper fish. It was well worth it - otherwise we would have wasted a large sum of money!

Neal.

Cape Coral is where Paul's house is. The secret with the boat is to pick it up from the yard which is really close to the sea. Like Neal's experience, although the house is not that far from the open sea, by boat through the canals is a lengthy trip.