Out of date petrol

Newboy

I've found out today the petrol in my tanks have gone off, they were bought just before x'mas. Had problem starting the outboard, however, it works fine once new petrol is fed.

Do they go off quicker in a boat? I swear I have used and still use really old (over 6 months and have used petrol in a red can I'd completely forgotten about) petrol in my ride on lawn mower and it starts without any problems.

Can I use additive to stablise the fuel to make it last longer and are they safe on outboard engines?

Unleaded fuel will "go off" quicker than theold leaded petrol. 3-4 months max before you'll get problems, which you have! If your leaving it longer than that then you could add an addative like Fuel Set or Stabil. I use Fuel Set as it also combat the water that accumulates from condensation in the tanks.

The only rally sure way is to run the tank down to empty if your not going to run it for anylength of time.

Probably best to drain off what you have and mix it with petrol used in the car and refill with fresh in the boat. Have you removeable tank or built in tanks?

We used leave inboard diesel fuel tanks full for overwintering or fix a partly inflated baloon/condom over the breather pipe. The latter cuts down on condensation contaminating the fuel or tank, as no fresh air can enter the tank. The latter perhaps could do the same for petrol inboard tanks?

Cheers - Jack

Guest fish finger

I was told that untreated unleaded has a life of maximum 6 months. However I have used petrol in our old speed boat right out of the tank that was around 6 months old. However I did notice that the boat was not as pokey as it usually was.

The fuel could have gone off quicker if you forgot to do up an airvalve or something.

You can get additives to add to the fuel to prolong its life, might be a good idea if you are not planning to use the boat for a few months.

Alex

The trick in keeping unleaded fuel is to keep the tank airtight.

You could try Lead replacement fuel but like any petrol it will evaporate over time.

As suggested previously mix old with new and I am sure it will be ok, problem areas is for the auxilary motor, how much is left in the tank from your last run?

Might be worth drain and re-mix some fresh for the new season.

You might find an oily sludge in the tank! mad.gif

Coddy

cool.gif