fly fishing simulater

Sam

hi all

i downloaded a fly fishing simulater earlier today and tried to have a go to try and get the idea of fly fishing but it was really confusing.

does anybody no a good one that is easy to use and demonstrates on how to fly fish or does anybody have any books or an old rod they dont want which i can have a practice with and learn to do it.

thanks in advance

tight lines

sam

I have two Michael Edwards videos (basic and advanced) which I can lend you which will definitely give you a good start. They are easy to follow and give sound advice. I can probably also loan you a rod and reel to practise with. How much of a rush? I'm coming down the weekend of the training day, is that soon enough?

Guest fish finger

Sam

My dad is a flyfishing instructor. So at somepoint I am sure he could give you a lesson or two and I know quite a bit about it myself. I have been doing it since I was four! You will probably find it a little hard to begin with but after a few hours you should get the hang of it.

The principle of fly fishing is that there are no weights involved. There is a thick fly line that acts as the weight and you shoot out the line using the weight of the line. The advantage of this is that the fly can be made to land very gently and the fly/lure can be as light as you like. Upon hooking a fish it does not have to lug a weight around with it and therefore fights better.

Fly fishing is mainly used for salmon and trout fishing, but it can be used in many other situations for almost all fish. If you can imitate its food using bits of feathers, rubber etc. whipped onto a hook then you can probably catch it on a fly if the water is clear enough and shallow enough.

I am interested in catching some sea fish on a fly. I have caught a few mackerel on fly before and my dad has had some nice bass and mullet on the fly aswell. Pollack, coalfish, mullet, bass, mackerel, garfish, wrasse, scad and loads more fish are possibilities. I have even caught a flounder on a fly while seatrout fishing!

There is an online fly fishing course here

however It probably is nowhere near as good as someone showing you how.

I could probably get my dad to lend you a rod (he has over 50 different fly rods). I need to try and get him to join the club as it sounds like fun.

have fun

Alex

Blimey, everyones getting well involved in this fly fishing lark. Although I dont fish for Trout on the fly, I practised on the carp puddles using fly gear to catch carp using dog biscuits, but have now landed carp well over 20lb at Sway on a the same fly gear. If you are shown how to do it properly Sam then Im sure you will have fun. It also teaches you a lot about water craft that you can then put to good use when you try the esturies for the bass.

thanks guys for the advice

plaicemat that would be fine that weekend and i would love to watch the videos

alex if you can organise sometime with your dad to show me the basics and lend me a rod i would be most grateful.

my dad said in return he would give you some tips on driving, navigating etc your new boat seen as he is a power boat instructer and could show you the basics he has shown me how to do it through the years.

tight lines sam

Guest fish finger

Sam

Sounds good, perhaps we could organise something in the easter holidays when we get our boat (I think fishing should be more important than GCSE revision!).

At the moment we are planning to do RYA level 2 but i am sure some extra advice that is more fishing orientated would be a great help.

I am looking forward to catching all the monsters of the deep that I hope you will show me how to catch!

Alex

Alex

Sounds good, perhaps we could organise something in the easter holidays when we get our boat (I think fishing should be more important than GCSE revision!).

You hadnt better let your mum or dad see this post. Although I agree with you I wouldnt let my boys know that biggrin.gif

Martin