Sharks

Guest fish finger

Guest fish finger

I was reading a boat fishing book by Trevor Housby a couple of days ago. (50p from a second hand bookshop) In this book he talks about fishing for porbeagle and thresher sharks in the area between the needles and st catherines point. He landed several porbeagles up to 300lbs and lost one that he estimated at over 400lbs.

I can't imagine hooking one of these beasts (apparently the average size was around 100lbs). How about a porbeagle on a fly?!!! They catch sharks to 200lbs on a fly in florida on 16 weights!

However this was in the 1970s and the situation may be different nowadays. He describes one of his best days as catching 5 porbeagles over 100lbs!

Does anyone know anything about fishing for sharks and has anyone been brave enough to try it?

ALEX

user posted image

I have never tried it, but I know of a few who have. Their are a few dedicated anglers from the IOW who fish in pursuit of these beasts.

The numbers are no way as prolific as in the 70's but they do still catch them and 3/4 sharks a day is not completely unheard of.

You very much need to know exactly where to go - its not a chuck it and chance it affair. The grounds are not 'between The Needles and St Catherines' but due South of St Catherines by approx 20/30 miles.

Im no means an expert on this, but have read a fair bit about it.

Adam

As Adam says - mid channel and increasing evidece that they base themselves on wrecks.

This may well be conjecture (ie they are top of the food chain so it makes sense that they would do so) but has been written up since the offshore wrecking really got going (with the advent of Decca). Seem to remember that Newhaven skipper who wrote the Book - the art of wreck fishing - including reference to Porgies.

Couple of references each year it the mags to unwelcome visitors to offshore wrecking trips

Poole skippers report them as well

Interesting discussion with one about 'why don't you target them?' - answer - 1 guy gets hooked up for a couple of hours; great for him but the others loose interest pretty fast and want to get back to fishing!

In a sense I'd probably feel the same - if conditions were good enough to be out there I would want to fish a wreck rather than deliberately drift for shark but, were one to appear when I was out there the rod would certainly be rigged and over the side in minutes!

Hi Alex

You certainly are aiming at the high end of the Sport on offer. biggrin.gif

I ran into Trevor a couple of times in the Channel Islands, a great chap with some awsome fishing tales, but sadly he recounted that most of the fish back then were brought ashore as trophies. which has led to the decline of sharking around the UK.

The grounds off of St Catherines point had a reputaion for the best fishing for Threshers and Porbeagles.

I have a great love of Sharks and have tried several times and a variety of methods to get one locally but with no success. even though there was some talk on the VHF about them during the summer of 2004 I have yet to see one from Poole.

I would love to borrow that book when you have read it.

If you want sport on light gear, aim slightly lower for Tope or Smoothounds.

They fight like Hell and can be caught on light gear when the tide allows.

However the biggest Tope like deep water and strong tides so slightly heavier gear than a fly rod would be required.

But the smoothy Marks in the solent may offer light line sport that will bring a smile to your face.

Tight Lines

Charlie biggrin.gif

Alex, reports are fairly common of large wreck caught pollack and cod being bitten in half on the wind up. As the others have stated, targetting these fish isnt just a chuck it and see, it takes plenty of planning and i expect,fruitles hours of fishing to hook one, let alone land it!!

I think there was a print in the Echo last year or so about a Threasher being caught by a dingey angler a couple of miles off Bmth beach.......JAWS!!!!

I hae the full complete Art of Fishing collection that has a few write ups about Trevor Housby and his Shark Fishing off St Catherines, although he wouldnt print his exact location. He also mentioned hair rigging baits to stop deep hooking so they can be released which was also a good read. I used to go to youth Club with his son Russel Housby and was always envious of his pics from abroad he showed me of Marlin, Tuna and Sail Fish that he caught. Trevor was also a top Fly angler in this country and he has done a few trout write ups on outings with John Wilson.

Guest fish finger

So the general view is that catching a shark would be a challenge. Maybe if a gather some more information I might try one day if i can find someone who does it.

They have a reputation as a hard fighting big game fish.

I found this article on porbeagles Porbeagles

Does anyone have any idea what tackle would be needed?

ALEX

TACKLE REQUIREMENTS

To cover the varied aspects of tackle requirements in any detail would require a whole chapter in a book.

I will therefore describe the main items of tackle, that are most commonly used for bait fishing from a static or drifting boat, which is the predominate method used to catch porbeagles in the UK.

Rods

There are a number of different types of rods that can be used; based on the line-class system. Rods with line-class ratings of 30lb class or below are what may be described as light-line fishing. I generally do not fish with such light tackle, preferring heavier gear to subdue any fish I encounter, as quickly as possible. Therefore, most of my fishing utilizes 50lb class tackle, and this will land most fish that you will generally encounter within a reasonable time.

There are a lot of quality rods in the 50lb line-class bracket on the market to choose from. Most of the large tackle manufacturers such as Penn, Daiwa, Shimano and Star Rods of the USA supply rods to suit most bait fishing applications. I would avoid the 'pokers' that are available, and choose a rod that has some give in the top section, a lot of back-bone in the mid section and which locks at the butt section to enable the fish to be pumped up to the surface. Rods with a fibreglass/carbon mix, is generally considered a good material in the right ratio, as this provides both strength and lightness. Rod lengths of about 7.5 to 8 feet is about the right length of rod to use.

Reels

Again, the major tackle manufacturers supply reels to suit porbeagle shark fishing applications.

Reels such as the Penn Senator size 6/0, Daiwa Sealine size 450 to 600, Shimano Tiagra size 4/0 have stood the test of time and have suitable line capacities of about 500 yards of 50lb line. The Fin-Nor Ahab and Big Game trolling reels also 'fit the bill', however, they are rather expensive.

It doesn't really matter whether the drag is a star or lever drag system, but most people prefer the convenience of the lever drag for rapid change of pressure during the fight.

Lines

Monofilament lines are the type to use for porbeagle shark fishing. A good quality line from the reputable fishing tackle manufacturers should be used. Lines such as Berkley, Ande, Stren and Maxima are good quality makes, and if you are interested in line class records the Ande brand is pre-tested to ensure that it breaks at or below its stated breaking strain.

Most fishing applications will require the use of 50 & 80lb line class. However, some anglers like the challenge of light line fishing in the 12, 16, 20 & 30lb classes.

Hooks, Swivels, Rubbing Trace and Wire Traces

Hooks in the 8/0,10/0 and 12/0 sizes are the ones most applicable for porbeagle shark fishing. Mustad hooks manufacture three types of hook that are suitable. These are the Seamaster, Sea Demon and the O'Shaughnessy.

The rubbing trace should be monofilament line of approximately 250-300lb breaking strain. The length of the rubbing trace should not exceed 30 feet, if you're interested in line class records in 30lb class and above. A length of 15 feet is more generally used, and is used to prevent the porbeagle's extremely abrasive skin from cutting through the main line, as they frequently 'twist up the line' during the fight. The rubbing trace can also be 'grabbed' by your 'fishing partner' when the porbeagle is brought along side of the boat.

The biting trace should be a seven-strand, flexible, kink resistant wire similar to the type used on a motor cycle brake system. This should have a length of about 4 to 5 feet with an overall diameter of about 2 to 3mm.

Swivels should be of the very best quality, and the Sampo ball bearing swivel in the 500lb breaking strain size is perhaps the best that is readily available.

you want more??? sad.gif

Alex,

Just to reiterate what Adam said, don't discount the smoothhounds and tope. These are sharks on a smaller scale, they go like rockets on light gear and they are pretty common. Not so sure about the Poole area but around Selsey the tope run big as well. There are persistent reports of 80lb fish returned most years and the females average 20lb plus. That's fact, not rumour, last year one of the IAC boats found themselves a resident pack and they got 4-5 per person across two days, all 6 anglers got at least a 30lb fish and two were edging 45lb.

Once a 45lb tope gets boring, I guess porgies are all that's left. There's some evidence to suggest that the North Cornish coast would be a better bet than the mid-channel wrecks.

Steve (aiming this year to improve on my rather wimpy 13lb PB tope) mad.gif