Super Saturday

ChrisE

Well may be not for English rugby or Bournemouth but the fishing was good, as was the weather.

Went of bass fishing with my brother, started off at reef one, first drop and the lure must gone straight down the mouth of 5lber.  Couple drifts later same again.  Caught a couple of smaller ones them off to The Ledge for same bait fishing which my brother likes. 

An hour of catching one pout and a couple of good knocks, the YC called for a couple of pints and a bacon butty for lunch.  Just squeezed out of Keyhaven harbour on a fast falling big ebb and back to reef one.  Another five bass plus at least as many lost there and a couple of wrasse for good measure and off to reef two. 

Reef two is an interesting mark where we first caught bass last November and comprises a 100m slope leading to a sharp ridge and drop off.  Almost all of the fish are caught at on top of the this ridge plus there's only a very narrow part of the ridge where first seem to sit, a few yards either way and you'll catch nothing, drift over the sweet spot and if the fish are there it's a fish a drift.

First drift, about 15m to the right of the sweet spot, produced nothing.  On the second  which was right on the money, both of us are in and have hooked fish that were taking line, always a good sign.  Martin's fish came up first, a fat 6lber mine next, a fatter 8lber.  First time that we've had two good fish in the boat at the same time. 

Another hour's worth of drifts brought us a further seven fish up to about 5lb and it was time to go home. All the fish caught on Fiiish minnows, goodness me they're a deadly lure, and with a hidden hook perfect for bouncing over snaggy reefs.  In five hours fishing we lost two lures one stuck on the bottom and the other when a heavy fish charged in some reef cutting me up.

So, in total, 18 bass all returned and a very nice day out in the sun.  Here's a piccie of the two fish, not the best of composure, we wanted to get them back asap.

post-1685-0-12692400-1443443208_thumb.png