Thinking of fitting AIS class B (transponder)

Steve S

I am thinking of fitting an AIS class B transponder with GPS built in to Tigerfish. A birthday present from the wife, only I have to choose and buy it!

It will need to interface to:

Standard Horizon GX2000 VHF radio (it supports an AIS input) and feed the radio with my boat position from the AIS

Raymarine E120 (and E80) on a Seatalk network which currently has GPS provided by a ST6001 autopilot

Can fit a dedicated AIS antenna if required.

I'd also like to future proof somewhat by supporting WiFi or USB

I know that being a transponder I will be giving away my position but at least other ships can see and contact me and they have a silent switch for those secret marks...

I found these which may be suitable

Digital Yacht AIT2000   http://www.digitalyachtamerica.com/index.php/en/products/ais-systems/ais-transponders/product/32-ait2000-class-b-transponder

Vesper Marine XB-8000   http://www.vespermarine.com/xb8000-ais-transponder.html/

It's a bit of a technical minefield with the connectivity options and I don't how how well AIS units work relative to each other, If any members have suggestions or recommendations I'd be pleased to hear.

• 1 month later...

Hi I have One fitted on my boat so the bigger ships can see me so I never switch it off so I would rather lose a fishing mark than the boat

Anyway I only look for big ships not fishing marks especially in the dark and fog but that's just me