chartplotter etc

bassncodformeplease

This is my own personal preference and opinion

You can spend one hell of a lot of money on a plotter/ sonar, you then need to buy the card that slots in to give your maps etc

If you do a search on this forum you will find a few threads on iPad / Navionics etc

I have now combined this with 'sonar phone '

My though is my set up works as well as a plotter/sounder that could cost you £900.00 +,the comparison I make between the two in performance and specifcation is virtually identical

Peter ( Redfin) has the same set up on his boat as mine ( I use a iPad, he uses a standard tablet.) I have a preference for IPad

He also has a large Lowrance /plotter etc unit that ( I believe) cost close to £1800 ish

It would be fair to say he knows how to use his Lowrance unit to its full capabilities; it sits there unused, it's complicated to use, far more buttons and menus that never get used or needed.

As I am also not the most technically gifted , I do simple. I also need low cost.

There is a downside to my system

You need to download the Navionics to your laptop , iPad , tablet.( UK and Holland £34.00)

You need to download the (free) sonar phone app

Purchase the sonar phone sp200 ( eBay, price has just shot up to £180.00)

Install the transducer to the hull and run the unit to a battery ( took me a hour)

You need a 12v cigarette type charger to keep the tablet fully charged

I have no problems coming down to your boat and setting it up and showing you how it works, you need a little patience and to play about with it

Again I prefer touch screen, I find it difficult to use hard buttons when the sea is bumpy and fingers are slimed

I have just totted up my cost , it's now under £400. For the lot (including second hand iPad) fully working , everything installed .

This is what I see with the plotter on

post-1523-0-53041600-1436995232_thumb.jpg

This is my sonar on the same screen

post-1523-0-27939000-1436995483_thumb.jpg