MMSI Number?

Adam F

I have just upgraded to DSC!!

I have replaced the Icom M401 Euro with the new DSC version ready for the new season.

One question: How do I obtain my MMSI number? Can I use the set without it until it arrives?

Adam

You will get it thru the post. In the meantime, you can use yoour dsc just as your old non dsc unit. All the mmsi does is an id, i.e., you can 'call' another member who has dsc and his radio will ring like a phone and it tell him you are calling him. Likewise he can call you. The main reason for a mmsi is if you are in distress and press the red buttom, the cc will know it's you and where you are.

You apply for it together with your boat vhf tax disc. I got mine when I applied for mine, not sure how it works when you jump ship half way thru the season, i.e., changing from a non dsc to a dsc.

If you do a search, there was a link to the dept of communication of something. The thread was by me and it was called how do I get a vhf licence?

Adam,

ofcom site's a nightmare so I have linked right through here to the existing ships radio licence ammendement page.

You will need your customer reference number as well as your callsign then just go on from there to request an MMSI for your existing ships radio licence.

It will come through in about a week, but you can 'cheat' and go into MARS against your callsign in a few days and it will probably be there by then.

OK?

Duncan

Thank you Duncan - we got there in the end!!

I agree Ofcom's site was useless!!! I gather from all the simple text that it was meant to be user friendly...yeah right!...after 1/2 hour of searching I resorted to my VHF handbook given to me when I did the test - here it advised www.radiolicencecentre.co.uk not such problems here...10 mins and it was payed for and filled in. 10 - 14 days to arrive -

well there's potentialy even better news on the horizon re licences because in a rare and probably doomed bid to actualy improve efficiency there is currently a consultative document out on making the ships radio licence a one off issue valid for the ownership of the vessel.

it may even be free to online self service (print your own) application.

way to much sense - I think the EU will block it somehow

• 1 month later...

Duncan,

I was interested with your "MARS" reference, so searched it out on the net and was well impressed to find that you can search for any boat / callsign and get their MMSI / owner details.

Interestingly Blue Warrior MMSI / boat is not on the site yet, so must be that MARS gets updated later.

I have sent an "amended equipment" update to teh radio licening site to tell them I have a DSC set fitted, presumably they will automatically assign me an MMSI now I have told them ?

MARS Ship search