Battery terminal corrosion

plaicemat

'Had a slight problem starting at one stage but I think I have identified this as bad contacts in the dual charging selector switch, probably a build up of verdigris. Anyone know the best cure?'

Above is a quote from Trip Planning entry 'Tomorrow'. Still working on getting rid of the problem but the long term cure seems to be bonding with a marine grade silicone rubber sealant, thus preventing the ingress of those pesky salty airs. The recommended one in the States is Boatlife Marine Silicone Rubber but this doesn't seem to be available in the UK. I would have thought Sikaflex would have done the same thing but, laughingly, Sika (UK) are unable to tell me if it is suitable for electrical installations.

Any thoughts on the eradication of verdigris and future sealing?

What I used to use but the received wisdom in the trade suggests this brings it's own problems when salt is added to the formula. I'm looking for the 'premium' solution which is permanent. But thanks for your input, always appreciated.

Upon further consideration, I guess the permanent solution would be to do what I have done with the rest of the electrical installation on the boat, change to tinned wire.