Any building surveyor in the club?

Newboy

Just wondering if we have a building surveyor in the club?

I'm looking at a house in southampton, I think the kitchen extension, which account for about 15-20% of the total area, is only single skinned as it's only about 8 inches thick, I've heard single skinned property is difficult to get a mortgage. Before I waste any money and time on getting a mortgage and then told they won't lend. 

I'm asking if it is the case and if yes, what are the remedial work? 

The outside is tile hanged, so is a second skin on the outside or can I insulation the inside instead?

Many thx in advance.

Kam

HI Cam

We are building Surveyors,the Building society or Bank building surveyor may pick it up but its not a deal breaker. There are many things to take in to consideration. U values or heat loss is are a consideration.

1. Is it Damp?

2. It will be cold and therefore black mould might be an issue.

3. Under the tile hanging is there a waterproof membrane.

4. Can you dryline with insulated plasterboard on the inside or is it already in place.

5. Are the window reveals and cills going to be sufficiently weather to keep out the damp.

6. If they have used this construction as a cost saver, what is the flat roof like, insulated or not?

7. Your loan size to value of the property will also have a baring.

Give us a call if you have questions. You should have a survey of your own to be satisfied.

8. How old is the Extension.

9. Are there drawings available, was permission sought, was building control involved.

Mal Thomas Castlemore Surveyors 01202486666

I would also take a look at the foundations under the external wall of the extension. Concrete strip foundations should be built for a cavity wall i.e to a minimum of 600mm wide. Depth of the foundation would depend on the soil type but should not be less than 300mm deep. If the foundations were built for a single wall and are narrow this may cause you problems for the future, especially if you are thinking of adding another skin or building upwards.

Mal

1. It's not damp.
2. No mould visible.
3. Not sure, don't think the present owner will be too happy for me to take off the tiles.
4. Inside is plasterboard, not sure if it's insulated or not, however with only 8" wall I doubt there is much insulation, however, there are enough space to dryline if I wanted to.
5. Havn't really noticed, but it's only single glazed so I will put in new double glazing if I do put in an offer..
6. It has a pitched roof, the extension is probably built at least 4 decades ago, think it's just the way they were built back then.
Give us a call if you have questions. You should have a survey of your own to be satisfied.

Thx 

Kam

I would also take a look at the foundations under the external wall of the extension. Concrete strip foundations should be built for a cavity wall i.e to a minimum of 600mm wide. Depth of the foundation would depend on the soil type but should not be less than 300mm deep. If the foundations were built for a single wall and are narrow this may cause you problems for the future, especially if you are thinking of adding another skin or building upwards.

I will only consider putting in an offer if remedial work isn't too much, probably won't go for it if I have to put in a second skin.

kam

• 4 weeks later...