Groundbait/chum/rubby-dubby/chervy

Wedger

Just a thought guys but who out there uses groundbait? Now I know all about the usual comments regarding bringing in every doggy in the bay but given the right situation I've made it work quite well. wink.gif

Thanks again to you all for the replies to my upgrade post. Sole searching legwork and coffer scrapping now unsure.gif

I regularly use boiled rice with fish oils added, and chopped macky whacked in for Bream fishing.........the rice is small enough not to fill the fish too much, it dispenses along the tide well too.

At slack, I chop macky and drop it over the side for conger.......although it didnt work today!!!

Rich

I regularly use chopped up mackeral and bits of squid. In 15 - 20 m of water, these take ages to get down [ and past the gulls !] . If the tide is slack , then this is fine and spreads 100 m and more. With a bit more tide , I switch to using a bait dropper [ barbel - style ] with a 6 oz lead on it.

Most noticeable comment..........BASS.......... most of the bass I've picked up when fishing this way have been half stuffed with the mackeral bits. With a sniff, these fish can be fast moving hoovers!! I wonder what the balance is of them finding dinner by sight or smell ???

Alun.

Groundbaiting can drive bream into a frenzy, doesn't seem to bring the doggies as badly as you might think either. I freeze any left-over bait and generate chum blocks. Rich is dead right about boiled rice as a carrier, disperses really well and the bream are stuffed with it. For cheap fish oils, pellets, meal and other smelly goodies, try Baitsonline.

Steve

I have used it a lot for reef congers and even when wreck fishing when they are reluctant to feed, I usually drop it to the bottom in a weighted bag on a spare rod then invert the bag to leave the chopped fish on the seabed.

I have used Aluns method of almost chumming for bass, and as he says they do tend to come in well stuffed with chunks, especially heads

Charlie