Boat Identification

Brian

Sorry Brian I had not seen this post,cheers for putting it up.

Can somebody explain how you determine that the hull is only suitable for 15 hp ....is it determined by the

Boat length 14 feet plus boat width 6 feet or just the style of hull on the craft ..??

Reason I asked is that my mate had been offered a good condition 30 hp but if in you guys opinion we are

Better off staying with the 15 hp we have then so be it for the time being.

Cheers

Gazza

Can somebody explain how you determine that the hull is only suitable for 15 hp ....is it determined by the

Boat length 14 feet plus boat width 6 feet or just the style of hull on the craft ..??

the length of the hull (well the square root of the waterline length to be specific) dictates the hull speed

hull speed + 10% (in most cases) represents the speed beyond which the boat will be sunk by it's own stern wave unless it planes - the 10% is because most powered craft will move into a semi displacement mode to some degree!

you can calculate the power necessary to drive a given hull at it's hull speed - but in this case I suspect the judgement being shown by posters is that - (1) I wouldn't want to be in that 'on the plane' and (2) 15hp should get that running at it's hull speed easily enough.