How About Alderney

Paul D

As Lofty had mentioned at a recent club meeting, a couple of kayaks are looking to kayak over to Alderney.

I noted there is now a facebook page and website for this and spotted that there is now and extra kayaker doing the trip, The second being the club's good friend Mark Harding.

The trip is in aid of HOW and Macmillan Cancer support, well worthy of sponsorship

http://howaboutalderney.com/

https://www.facebook.com/howaboutalderney

Barking....  The shipping lanes will be interesting, those boys can be shifting and don't generally alter course too much. :unsure: AIS to see who coming down the line and call them up using DSC, an alarm going off on the bridge is needed to get their attention.

Good luck lads that will be some achievement.

I'm sure they will have safety boats etc.

The best thing with the shipping lanes is to stop, let the big boys pass and then go. The fact they don't change course helps and they are only 1/200ft wide!

Hope they 1 get the tides right, 2 get the weather, 3 go in with their eyes open.

R

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that I would just add a little more detail.

There are definitely 3 of us doing the trip. Mark Harding has been recruited as he is officially barking too.

Arran from Absolute Aqua is providing the safety boat and is sorting the AIS etc.

Mike Fox has been a great help with navigational advice. So much so, that I have asked Arran about a day skipper course which I will be attending in the new year.

With regard to the tides, we have picked 5 potential windows of opportunity based on the neaps in June, July and 1 in August. Mark will be invaluable when it comes to local knowledge.

We are trying very hard to get sponsorship from local companies. Most have been very helpful. We understand that times are hard.

Mark has also done a fantastic job with publicity on the Chanel Islands and even the chief executive has emailed us. I think Mark also eluded to having a dinner/ auction on the island after the event itself.

We have also had an endorsement by Dr Sir Mike Stroud. He is a world renowned expert in human endurance. He is a good friend of Sir Ranulph Fiennes and has accompanied him on a few Sunday afternoon walks across the Antarctic etc. Dr Stroud is prepared to do a sort of after dinner type speech (for a ticket fee to help us raise money) to talk about some of his exploits etc. That in itself will be incredibly entertaining.

Please have a look at the blog. It is being added to as and when time allows.

Thanks again, to everyone, for the club's support.