Hillhead, a day of two halves

lofty

Arrived at Hillhead and got set up

020.jpg

I launched this morning into the Solent at 9.30 armed with squid maccy and hardbacks, onto a flat calm sea. It was very overcast but very warm and I was wearing my super warm Gucci underwear beneath my drysuit. Mistake.

022.jpg

I met up with Chris in his sea kayak and had a swap around with paddles ( I borrowed Bartos cranked Shuna) to trial.

We put the world straight and he left me to it. The crab baits went down into the ripple less sea

026.jpg

Had a couple of starrys .

The first one was a lunker that was very lightly hooked. I got it to the side of the yak and it come of right by my hand.

The second one was about 9 lbs I reckon.

024.jpg025.jpg

It went quiet so I moved and tried for a Raymond. Down went a maccy fillet and after a short time I had a bounce on the conoflex.I thought It was a doggy so I wound down and ....zzzzzzzz..... Fish on

A good scrap and then it jumped in front of me. At first I thought it was a good bass but as it came to the yak it was a Tope, around 7 lb.

028.jpg

They put up a scrap on board too

Look at my ff

The waves started to build and I looked behind to sea a localised storm coming.

Selfie with storm

031.jpg

Well it blew a bloody hoolie, white horses all round, and I sat it out.

I've had enough

032.jpg

There was a bit of clear sky over Fawley and as the sea calmed down a bit I pulled out and headed in

As I loaded the yak I saw a lone kayaker on the mark, Dick maybe?

It was a good session but I could have done without the squal.

Selfie on the beach

035.jpg

There's not much to see on this video of the big smoothy , but its quite funny how I bring my legs in when I see the size of her