Launching at Wick

Coddy

Hi all,

I am think ahead now but what are the problems, if any, cost etc. of launching at wick?

Can you launch normaly i.e. back the car and trailer down and shove off the trailer? unsure.gif

Parking? unsure.gif

Any restrictions?

Channel dangers?

Wind direction for sea state? sick.gif

Tide times?

Thanks for any help

Coddy

cool.gif

Hi Dave,

This subject has been covered before - Ill have a look and see if I can find it.

But to answer your Q's quickly...

Yes, you always launch normally - reverse down and give it a shove.

Plenty of parking - either pay 7.50 for the day (all year) or whack the trailer in the trailer park and stick your car out on the road.

Only restrictions are the state of the slip at low tide. Give yourself at least an hour of water and youll be fine.

Channel dangers - yep, Christchurch is very shallow - even at HW the channel is 6' max. Use your plotter and youll be fine. In the winter they remove the marker bouys due to the flood water.

'The Run' as it is called is the narrow entrance to the sea. 2 rivers empty out of here making 5/6 knots on a spring tide. It is pretty sheltered though an faces W/SW. Basically, if it is OK to go fishing the run will be fine.

Tide times - as mentioned, give at least 1 hour of flood and youll be fine.

I would advise that you take one of the regulars with you for your 1st trip, it will help you loads and youll learn more than I can type here. Im happy to oblige any time.

Adam

Hi Adam

Thanks for the info that's really good and the link.

Hope to get out on Boxing Day, not sure where yet but long range forecast looks promising! wink.gifwink.gif

I think Christmas Day might be pushing the luck just a bit too far. ohmy.gifohmy.gif

If you will be about give us a shout.

Coddy

cool.gif