Alderney ring method

Robo

Hi chaps,

Decided I'm going to have a go at the Alderney ring method on my Wilson Flyer 17

Only problem I can see is that the front of my boat is square rather than pointed, this means I need to consider fitting some Port, Starboard, cleats to stop the warp rubbing up and down my GRP and possible damaging the rope

I don't expect this comes up too often less you own a cat or something, but I was wondering if anyone can advize what would be the best type of cleats to use? There are various designes on the market, I need something that will keep the rope in place even though this will mean anchoring slightly at an angle as I won't be able to put the rope back in the bow roller, also I have pulpit rails fitted

I'm trying to be a bit safer by not having to climb round the cabin to lift the anchor up but it's not so straight forward on a wilson or a cat I imagine

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

Robo.

robo, my fastworker is very similar in shape to your square fronted wilson. I have a pushpit and i find it guides the anchor rope well away from the boat. Remember you will motor away from the anchor at an angle anyway so i cant see there being any problem.

robo, my fastworker is very similar in shape to your square fronted wilson. I have a pushpit and i find it guides the anchor rope well away from the boat. Remember you will motor away from the anchor at an angle anyway so i cant see there being any problem.

Thanks for the advice, just need to find out what a pushpit thingy is lol :unsure:

Hi Robo

As Little Sal says, when you need to lift the anchor you turn away from the anchor about 30 degrees so the angle should not rub the warp down the side of the boat.

By moving off at an angle also reduces the chance of you running over your anchor rope (warp) and getting tangled arond the prop.

I would suggest you go out with someone who knows how to recover using the Alderney method before attempting it on your own. It is far safer to practice in a shallower area with experianced crew until you feel confident to carry out the whole proceedure on your own. Being on your own there are many things to look out for as well as recovery of the anchor so having crew who know and can advise you and with a second set of eyes can much safer.

Dave

B)

Hi Robo

I had a Wilson flyer for a few years, it had a central cleat on the front behind the anchor hatch.

as long as you have grab handles on the cabin roof, moving up to the bow is easy and safe enough in good weather

simple to tie off and then lead the rope out through the bow roller.

Central position is much better for anchoring than an offset cleat as the bow will turn and the boat move sideways.

Hi Robo

I had a Wilson flyer for a few years, it had a central cleat on the front behind the anchor hatch.

as long as you have grab handles on the cabin roof, moving up to the bow is easy and safe enough in good weather

simple to tie off and then lead the rope out through the bow roller.

Central position is much better for anchoring than an offset cleat as the bow will turn and the boat move sideways.

Yeah I know where you are comming from, I wasnt thrilled about the idea of the boat not sitting right when on anchor, trouble is it will jump out of the roller I'm sure of it and be a dam nuisance

I tied a bowline on the front bollard and pulled the rope as if I was dragging the anchor and it looks as if it will rub the top edge of the deck!

I think this will be a case of some trialing to get this right

Hi Robo

As Little Sal says, when you need to lift the anchor you turn away from the anchor about 30 degrees so the angle should not rub the warp down the side of the boat.

By moving off at an angle also reduces the chance of you running over your anchor rope (warp) and getting tangled arond the prop.

I would suggest you go out with someone who knows how to recover using the Alderney method before attempting it on your own. It is far safer to practice in a shallower area with experianced crew until you feel confident to carry out the whole proceedure on your own. Being on your own there are many things to look out for as well as recovery of the anchor so having crew who know and can advise you and with a second set of eyes can much safer.

Dave

B)

Already done! going out with Graham from Eastlake Avenue, he is a full member with a bit more experience than me and very kindly offered to show me how it's done

Ive got the basic idea down but there is nothing like real experience, I'm looking forward to it but a little bit concerned about whether it will work on my square front boat, I guess the charter skippers use the AR method on their cats so it must work

My greatest concern is hooking me an abandoned crab pot! Probably rip the Bollard straight off my bow and even though the deck up there is 8mm thick even so it makes me cringe thinking about such a sittuation :o

Try not to over think, thus over complicate the situation!!!

Not sure grp would wear the rope (or vice versa£, unless you are using the same spot on the rope hundreds of times.

This is the roller you need, with a pin to stop the rope lifting:

http://www.cquip.com/shop_1052063077.php

http://www.cquip.com/images/prod/10A-86050A.jpg

Rob

Try not to over think, thus over complicate the situation!!!

Not sure grp would wear the rope (or vice versa£, unless you are using the same spot on the rope hundreds of times.

This is the roller you need, with a pin to stop the rope lifting:

http://www.cquip.com/shop_1052063077.php

http://www.cquip.com/images/prod/10A-86050A.jpg

Rob

Beaulieu Boat jumble Sunday! Might be a bit less than NINETY QUID!! :huh: get the buoy, ring, the whole shananigan ;) Anyone else Goin?

Take a force4 catalogue with you, as some things at the boat jumble are more expensive, and if you need to return it then it is a pain in the a$$ (if you get a receipt etc ect).

Mine maybe £90, but damn it's shiny!!!!!!

Rob

post-1679-0-00065800-1366827464_thumb.jpg

Can you put up a picture of the front of your boat 

we could better advise on a suitable method.

On alfresco we use a method that would not be as safe on a smaller boat, so it would be better to advise once we know what you have fitted.

Take a force4 catalogue with you, as some things at the boat jumble are more expensive, and if you need to return it then it is a pain in the a$$ (if you get a receipt etc ect).

Mine maybe £90, but damn it's shiny!!!!!!

Rob

I must admit I do like zzzzshinnnny! :rolleyes:  Force 4 aint cheap though! EEEEEBAAAAAAY is the way, to go..... 

Pressed steel isn't quite the same, you might bend it!!!! Though, tis shiny!!!!

Force4 may not be cheap, but is good value, get what you pay for and all that!

R