Needles conger

JIMBOB

Headed out to the needles today in tara to have a go for those cod, made an early start and was on the way out before sunrise at 6.30am .The sea was flat calm with a light nth breeze and I was the first boat on the mark ,not for long though and the lymington fleet was soon all around with sundance dropping anchor right alongside with gives you a bit of confidence that your on the right mark biggrin.gif

There were plenty of fish about but all pout and dogs with a few channels, the pout were some of the biggest ive caught With a few well over 2lb!! and takeing 8/0 pennels with a chain of sqiud on!!

Fished the last hour of the flood the slack and the first hour of the ebb with no sign of a better fish then 2, 5lb boxes of squid later!!!! in the full run of the tide with 2lb of lead I hooked a bloody conger mad.gif 30mins later with a fair bit of cramp in the arms up came a 40lb eel ,He was a bit of a battle scared beast with 2 outher hooks and a fair bit of line hanging from him, but he brightened up a outher wise codless day.

Tight lines

James

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it was a great learning experience... in more than one way!

I was really enjoying everything till we anchored up and I took my eyes off the horizon and stared into the bucket of weights. I promptly threw up, and couldn't stop for the next two hours!!! sick.gif And this was on a calm sea... sad.gif (I dunno what did it as I've never been sick on a boat before, but apparently its to do with being anchored up instead of moving forward...)

Anyway... I then curled up and fell asleep, (chucking up is seriously tiring!), until James managed to yell and kick me awake to net this conger beastie. I had actually snoozed right through his 30 minute struggle to get it to the boat! sad.gif

It wasn't easy for a novice to net... it just didnt want to oblige and stick its tail into the net, LOL but James was very patient with his instructions and before we knew it, we had it on board and weighed in. smile.gif

Then the beast was so long I couldn't have got the whole thing in one pic unless I had been 10 foot out to sea with the camera! LOL

It was a great baptism, and I learned a lot about fishing for bigger fish and the wisdom of a precautionary sea-sickness-pill.

Thanks James, you're a star!

Rose

My youngest also suffers a bit with the dreaded Mal de Mer.

A few weeks ago someone suggested trying Ginger.

On the three trips since then I have taken a packet of Ginger nuts to munch on and he has been fine.

He was OK yesterday even though the fishing was slow and the sea lively. he may get fat but at least he will keep his breakfast down and enjoy the day more.

I have found that sea sickess tablets just make me very tired, great for sleeping on a ferry but not for staying alert while fishing/boating in a small boat.

Charlie