Kayak flounder comp report

seagypsy

The Poole Kayak Flounder Comp 2011 was attended by 25 competitors all of which had turned out on a day more akin to sitting indoors watching TV but even though it was getting very close to being cancelled each brave soul took to the water at 11.00am in search of one thing "Flounder" .

user posted image

user posted image

It wasnt going to be an easy 3 hours as winds were increasing F5/6 as the comp went on and the rain got heavier with it. Our safety boat was constantly keeping a close eye or should i say lip on everthing as within half an hour of the start Geordie Brian made a call on the radio to say that he had a size 2 hook stuck in his lip. After being handed some pliers by the safety boat crew he continued fishing , , Hardcore or what, ,

user posted image

The radio stayed quiet so i took a paddle out and sailed down to rockley and back to see how everyone was getting on

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

On my return a few had checked back in but without fish, it was starting to look like it could be a total day of blanks but just as the scales were closing Neil Wilson came rushing across the car park with a 1lb 8.6oz flounder , , At Last, , it turned out to be the only one caught so he was a worthy winner , , i dont have a picture of the fish but here he is on the yak. .

user posted image

Back at base camp where my good wife Claire ,her friend Vicky and Rachael(mrs maver )were busy keeping everyone warm with burgers and coffee , they had done a great job over the two days and i have now used all my brownie points until next year, Thanks Girls x x

Anyway , on to the raffle which was a rod and reel kindly donated by Steve(maver) and all proceeds went into the RNLI fund , , The worthy winner after taking a few dunkings while we were playing with the lifeboat on saturday was "Big Dave Neil"

user posted image

So for the main prizes which were donated by Poole bay small boat angling club , Bournemouth Canoes and Castaways tackle.

First prize to local man Neil Wilson was a

Edited by seagypsy

Cracking Ben ......or should that be "crackers" ...... you yakkers are crackers !!

Great effort .... great support ...... and a result in the face of adversity !!!

What more could you ask for ??

Well done one and all who took the challenge

Well done Ben .... you did it and the club proud mate..

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

PS....I want to know what our safety officer is doing with a stick and rags on his boat .... is it now a ketch-up ?? laugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by pirky

well done lads ... As you know, I popped down before you all set off and I must say you lot are HARD CORE!!!

My nice warm comfortable boat was sat on the land yet you lot were heading out into a very strong headwind to find shelter behind land some 3/4 of a mile away, but you were all happy that the "paddle back would be easy"! MAD but admirable.

And a special WELL DONE to Dave for covering as the safety boat.

Graham.

Bloody good effort one and all. biggrin.gif

all boats except Dave's were either being maintained or ignored due to the weather and 25 Kayakers are afloat and fishing. blink.gif

Well done to all that took part or helped to make it a great meeting in that weather, mid winter.

Shows why the Club is happy to help support such hardy and safety concious anglers

Charlie biggrin.gif