Jurassic Coast Adventure (Part one)

Harnessboy

What a fantastic day out we both had, Ben phoned on Friday very excited saying that the weather and tides looked good for a trip out of Lulworth on Saturday 1st oct. Ben had not been out of lulworth before so he ran what i thought was a good plan past me and we agreed on timings. He was to pick me up at 0600 with the aim of launching at sun up over Lulworth Cove, timmings were spot on as you can see.

user posted image

The aim of the day was to use the tides and wind to aid an east/ west trip, taking in Pond field to the east and Durdle Door in the west. We paddled out into an ever warming sun east towards Mupe rocks. The photo's really don't do the beauty of the place justice, however you get the idea i'm sure.

user posted image

It was quite simply a beautiful autumnal morning slightly misty looking east, with very little wind. We decided to start our drift fishing across the front on Mupe rocks, where we both picked up makkies almost straight away, that would be our starter for lunch in Worbarrow Bay.

user posted image

user posted image

Ben was having a field day with his camera in total the nutter took 146 photo's, he wanted to beach in Mupe Bay for a comfort break which turned out a good idea as we were both able to practice our seal launches.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

The video's i will leave for Part two. We then trolled across the front of Arish Mel and took some time out to get some photo's of the caves in the area.

user posted image

user posted image

Time and tide and all that, we needed to move ourselves if we were to take the tide across Worbarrow and around Worbarrow Tout, the range walks were closed so there were very few people about which made the long paddle across the bay all the more special. As we rounded the Tout we passed into the small inlet of Pond Field, where we came across a couple of snorkelers.

I gave Ben ten minutes to run down his camera battery some more and we then both decided to drift fish across the front of the Tout and then head into Worbarrow for lunch, we managed to winkle out a couple of brightly coloured wrasse and a couple of pollack between us. It was then off into the bay for lunch, Ben suggested we land in the middle of the beach as it was completely empty, as we found out there was a very good reason for that.

The beach was very steep and had quite an undertow i think we both thought we might get caught out. We both managed to land (Just) without making fools of ourselves but had to help one another to drag the kayaks up out of reach of the waves. Lunch was fried Mackerel and then pasta with a home made tom sauce, which i'm pleased to say Ben enjoyed.

user posted image

I have to say Bens plan worked a treat we had plenty of time to enjoy our lunch and then we set off with the tide and wind to make our way back toward and past Lulworth, that meant the sails went up and although the wind was light the sails really do help take some of the strain.

First stop would be trying our luck across the front of Arish Mel Gap.

Part Two to follow.