what weight for bass rig?

lofty

Hi Lofty,

Usually I freeline live maccy with a circle hook or treble hook attached through the nose. I quite enjoy using a large float to keep the maccy down or you could use a small bullet (1oz) with a long flowing trace.

Out of interest, how will you be keeping the maccy alive? I have a trolling bait bucket which is okay for sandells or small pout but too small for maccy.

I've been meaning to try some live baiting off southbourne myself for a while now so will be interested to see how you get on. I have had some success of Peveril but you need to get the tides just right.

Phil

Are you anchoring or drifting?

If you are drifting then what Phil said is bang on.

However if you are going to be anchoring, use a long portland rig with a 1 or 2 oz lead, otherwise you will fine the live mackeral doing a spot of weaving on a snaggy seabed.

Last time I caught the macs. hooked them thru the nose with a 3 hook and sent it to the bottom with a three foot trace and a 4 oz lead as I was attached to a pot buoy. Thats when I caught the 6.5 lber. just wonderered it the leads a bit heavy? cool.gifcool.gif

last week i was fishing live Macs there and one was taken by a tope( pressuming that is as it started to tow my kayak) that proceded to wrap itself around the pot bouy and i had to cut the line, and another large mac was bitten clean in two,probably by tope again?

Last time I caught the macs. hooked them thru the nose with a 3 hook and sent it to the bottom with a three foot trace and a 4 oz lead as I was attached to a pot buoy. Thats when I caught the 6.5 lber. just wonderered it the leads a bit heavy? cool.gifcool.gif

When I bream fish the ledge, if I catch any mackeral I usually send it down on a long/tall portland rig with 8' trace or so on small lead. Reason being I want the rig to be as far away as possible so it won't tangle with anyone else, and the portland rig to be long/tall so the mackeral has a large range to swim in, so to attract the predatory fish.