new to this

Guest Guest_supermotobaz_Fisherman

Guest Guest_supermotobaz_Fisherman

hello, this is my first time on here so sorry if i ask too many questions(because i will). i am looking at getting a boat of my own and have narrowed my choice down to either a shetland 535/536 or a wilson flyer i have got up to

Hi Baz

Re: choice of boat, you do not say if you want it for family or purely for fishing. That aside the 535/536 are nice little boats but more suited to family uses as the cockpit space is a little limited. The Shetlands are well built boats and will give a fairly smooth/stable ride due to the gull wing hull configuration. You would be able to do all the inshore cruising and occasional fishing as well as towing skiers or blow up toys etc

The Wilson flyer however is a different beast, very suitable for the serious angler. They have plenty of cockpit space for anglers and gear. A harder ride than the Shetland due to the cathedral type hull, very stable at anchor and more than suitable for the area you intend to fish. You can still play with the toys as long as a suitable (50hp +) engine is fitted.

You do not need any legal documents or equipment to put to see in a small boat but I would suggest you look on our main page and take a look at our minimum requirements for our members http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/safetyequip.htm. Use this as a benchmark to putting you on the right road. The RNLI also offer free sea checks, if you are not a member of a club this might be a good idea. There is no pass or fail but they will give you plenty of advice.

I cant give you any advice re the area you intend to keep your craft as I dont know the area

Hope this helps

Martin

i am aiming mainly for fishing and maybe a bit of play in summer. i will probably only ever take two people out fishing at a time so i am not too worried about having a great amount of deck space. but i like the idea of a cabin to keep warm and dry i dont see many wilsons up for sale where as shetlands are quite popular and closer to my budget.

Here some more info on the 535

http://www.shetlandboats.co.uk/shetland535.htm

Here's the 536's,

http://www.shetlandboats.co.uk/shetland536.htm

you will note although the 2 boats are similar in dimension, but they are infact totally different. The 535 is very light, single handed launch is no problems, whereas the 536 is more than 200kg heavier. The extra weigh is due to the 536 is a double skinned hull filled with poly..wotit, ie, unsinkable. However, the extra has push it over the 750kg mark and requires a braked trailer.

The hulls are also different, 535 has the same hull as sheltie (a V ) whereas the 536 is same as the family 4 or 4+2, a gull wing design (must be a good one, cos the Raider boat uses the same design).