Engine cut out in huge waves

Bob F

So, you've all heard about our adventure at Kimmeridge, but one thing I didn't mention was my engine cutting out when we were hit by a big wave coming into the slip.

I'm not sure why this happened. I assume it is some kind of safety feature, but in practice it nearly turned out to be disasterous.

As we were coming into the slip we rode over a huge wave which must have taken the prop out of the water for a time. On dropping over the other side of the wave I went to put power on and found that the engine had cut out. These Suzuki 4 strokes are so quiet you don't notice when they have stopped!! Anyway, by the time I had realised the engine had cut out and restarted it, we had drifted beam on into the next wave which nearly tipped us over!!! sad.gif

Anyone know why it would cut out? I assume it is a safety cut-out on these EFI models. It happened a couple of times when we were riding over the bigger waves????

Maybe it's a kinda Suzuki message which is meant to tell you you are in waters that are too dangerous so get the hell in!!

cheers

Bob F

Bob, I've got a 2003 Suzuki DF50 and havn't came up against any problems similar to this and have been out in some very big waves and wake up here in the North Sea. I wouldn't imagine it's some kind of 'saftey' feature but more of a small fault or saftey cut out in the engine.

I'm led to believe my engine has a computer built in to it which will cut it out if it 'scans' any problems with it. Could your oil be low and when the engine is on a tilt, the computer be cutting it out to protect it from damage or even if the props coming out of the water to save it from overheating.

just guessing mind

Marc

Bob - Id be surprised if it is meant to do that, as you have proved it is very dangerous in the wrong situation.

My new 60hp Mariner has what Barrus call an 'engine guardian system' basically this means the ECU monitors the engine and when something goes wrong it minimises the risk, ie: Engine oil gets low, the EGS backs the revs off to 2000, the cooling system is faulty - same effect, 2000 revs, and over revving, possibly caused by the prop out of the water - the EGS cuts it back to 2000.

Could have just been one of those things, but may be worth having it checked out...second thoughts, after last time - maybe not!!!

• 2 weeks later...

That happens a lot with Seagull engines if they are mounted too low, all down to back pressure. blink.gif

Just put your hand (or foot) over the exhaust of your car and wait a few minutes and the engine will stop.

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif

ps You could always ask your worst enemy to try it with his/her mouth sick.gifsick.gif