|Outboard overhaul/rebuild

Swainiac

Guys, Dad is rebuilding/overhauling his outboard. He has an old Johnson Sea Horse CD-CDL i think.

It has been stood for ages......and I mean ages, so it needs a complete top to toe.

He is having problems splitting the three sections of the shaft housing.....all studs are out, but she still wont split. Any suggestions.....Mikey, your era perhaps? Also, when replacing sections, will instant gasket do, or do you guys reccomend genuine parts? I expect he will log into the site to view your remarks, so all views and suggestions/hints are welcome.

Thanks guys............

Rich

Rich, Cant really help too much, but I do know a little about gaskets. When BW had her old 50hp taken apart she has liquid gasket all over the shop - Tony was appaled and from his comments he recommends genunie fibre gaskets everytime.

Adam

PS: Put this post on the YBW website, it will probably get a few more responses as their are a few marine mechanics who use the forum.

.....Mikey, your era perhaps? Also, when replacing sections, will instant gasket do, or do you guys reccomend genuine parts

Here's the rub......... Instant gasket will not do, it never works on ally and sea water and the mating surfaces are also too thin a section on O/B's. So OK let's use the proper gaskets............... First off rais a second mortgage!!!! these things in my experiance (if you can get them at all) tend to be insanely expensive. Like

Adam, what is that site you suggested?? When I locate it, I'll try and post there. Mikey..........apart from the DUNDUNDARRRRR! everything else seems straightforward. Dad is from an industrial mechanical background, so his knowledge is pretty damn good of most aspects, unlike mine!!!

We just weren't sure about the gasket issue, the actual donkey is fine, she is free and fairly smooth, its the ancilary parts of the shaft that need splitting and inspecting. All the electrics are in GWO, its just the case of replacing the gubbins at the top of the shaft, its a small transfer gadget that links onto a hooked section of 5mm ish rod, I'll look in the manual, and see what the thing does. Dad is taking the engine over to France this week, they are on holls with family out there, so I expect he will log on and check the forum in due course, so please keep writing folks!!!

See you thuis evening at the meeting......

Ta muchly, Rich

Guys....................after a visit to the outboard shop in Christchurch yesterday, all was revealed! Appaerently a pin holds all the gubbins in place, and the shaft needs to be turned slightly to allow the mechanics to slide.......Done.

However.......replacement bolts to hold the Power head to the shaft housing are eleven quid each!! Can you believe it?!!!! All split and sorted, new gaskets purchased, just a case of rebuilding now. Thanks for the help Mikey and Adam.

Rich........Rich's Dad really

Oh and lads.............see despite the viscious rumours......I do have a Dad wink.gif