Call for support

Paul J

Guys,

Please see the C-scope roadshow below and the quote from a friend who attended one already

I've been asked by B.A.S.S to rally support from PBSBAC to attend the Swanage meeting to represent the recreational angler.

Apparently more than half the attendees at previous meetings were commercial fisherman trying to push their agenda's so it would be vital to readdress that balance with support from US.

There will be some knowledgeable B.A.S.S members ( including the chairman) there to put across their views but they need your support by attending.

I'll be going so if anyone wants a ride you'll be more than welcome

Cheers

PJ

cscope roadshows

C-SCOPE Marine Planning Roadshows

Residents are invited to see the Dorset coast as they've never seen it before at a series of roadshows about the future of our marine environment. The Dorset Coast Forum is hosting six events at towns and villages between Portland and Purbeck to involve local people in a marine planning project called C-SCOPE (Combining Sea and Coastal Planning in Europe).

The Community Roadshow Event that was due to be held at Weymouth Pavilion on Thursday 2 December 2010 has been rescheduled due to the current weather conditions and will now take place on Thursday 16 December 2010 at 6pm. All other roadshow events are due to take place as planned.

C-SCOPE could help shape the way we use and enjoy our unique coastline and inshore waters in the future by developing a pilot marine plan for the Dorset coast between Portland Bill and Durlston Head out to 12 nautical miles.

The chance to explore an innovative new map of the Dorset seabed as if you are 'flying' around it will be just one of the things to see at the roadshows. Residents will be able to view the Dorset seabed in amazing detail, from ancient riverbeds to historic shipwrecks.

The events will give residents a chance to find out what a marine plan is and how it could help deliver sustainable development on Dorset's coast.

There are also opportunities to feed into the marine plan by saying what activities happen where in Dorset waters, as it is important that the marine planning process involves the people that use the Dorset coast and inshore waters for recreational activities or to earn their living.

Under the Government's Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, the

pick me up on the way through Mark or Ben and i will get the cokes in.

the more we take the more reprisented we will be and it will diminish the strength of the commys

Ben is picking me up Paul.I dont know what time yet.He is going to phone me tomorrow.I think he is also picking his Dad up from Swanage.

Dont think there will be any Cokes or Shandy.Its in a school hall biggrin.gif

Thanks for the offer Stuie but due to uncertainty over my movements (no not my bowel) I'd better make my own way there. As I'm not sure who you are I'll wear a pink carnation or a club fleece!

Cheers

Petesnr

It was an interesting meeting lads,a few of us went last night.

Petesnr ....we had to make a quick getaway due to the movement of my bowls,I thought schools would have loads of toilets.Found one just in time though unsure.gif

Hence the no drinking tonight.Dont think the food is agreeing with me either.

Thanks for the offer Stuie but due to uncertainty over my movements (no not my bowel) I'd better make my own way there. As I'm not sure who you are I'll wear a pink carnation or a club fleece!

Cheers

Petesnr

It was an interesting meeting lads,a few of us went last night.

Petesnr ....we had to make a quick getaway due to the movement of my bowls,I thought schools would have loads of toilets.Found one just in time though unsure.gif

Hence the no drinking tonight.Dont think the food is agreeing with me either.

Glad you went before we got in the car Mark sick.gif

Thanks to all that came to the meeting, im sure we will hear from the 2nd group on how it went, heres a summary of the Swanage roadshow

The background to this could well be on our radar for years to come - under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009 all encompassing marine plans will be put in place for all of England over the next few years, under the auspices of the new Marine Management Organisation. These will be statutory, legally binding, just like the full range of planning laws on land. The first ones set up will be for Eastern England (inshore and offshore, from Essex to Flamborough Head. They will cover everything, from wind farms and aggregate dredging to shipping, recreation and commercial fishing and fish farming. The Angling Trust are already signed up to participate in the inshore plan development, along with no less than 45 commercial fishing organisations!

The Dorset C Scope plan is a DEFRA supported pilot plan to pathfind the way to put these together and if it goes well could well be a major part of the southern area plan (when it comes) and influence the other plans being put in place. The team putting it together are the same team that got the Jurassic Coast accepted as a UNESCO World Heritage Site (Ken, who runs the team, said they were looking for their next big project) so I think they know what they are doing. They have made it clear that this is not a top down diktat from central government but should be bottom up with as much input from local marine users as possible. They want our input!

this seems to me like a rare opportunity for us to get in at the start of something and get our views heard well before decisions are taken and plans made. The Commercials will be making themselves heard loud and clear and we must do the same so can I urge you to email Ness at ness.smith@dorsetcc.gov.uk and tell her what you think of the fishing in Dorset

Ours was a quiet meeting at Owermoigne--I don't think that there were any commercial boys there but the recreational sector had some big guns. Mike Ladle, Dave Cooling and Malcolm Brindle of the BASS Club were bending the ears of the presenters after the meeting.

Recreational Angling hardly got a mention during the slide shows which considering the level of participation in the sport is puzzling. The time scale of plannig is also worrying--projected as 10 years from now.

Incidentally I parked my car in the village and found the village hall on foot up a lane. When I came out it was inky dark and I stumbled into bushes twice on the way back to the car. Either the tea was spiked or was it a case of the blind leading the blind......................?

Petesnr

I attended with Derek, Brian and his crew, who lives very adjacent to the hall. He acted as our torch bearer and prevented us stumbling.

Being new on the local scene I didn't recognise anyone else at all, but checking out the post-it comments it was obvious that commercial skippers had been making their comments known. We filled in a form commenting about the proposed Studland Bay anchoring ban, and suggested that permanent mooring buoys would be a good compromise.

Also left a post-it asking for steps to be taken to allow the inshore marine environment to return to the condition it was in 50 years ago..

I think all we can do is turn up and make noises - but who's going to do the enforcing of any regulations?