First fishing trip

dave007

Hi All

Happy days had her first outing this year having finally finished restoring her and now running well.

I launched from Baiter Wednesday 6/10 just before high tide ( I tried chanel 6 to see if any of you were out but to no avail is that the correct chanel ?) and due to wind ( not mine ) deciced to anchor in front of the castle on Brownsea , with about 6 other boats fishing , didn't seem to be a lot going on in the cathing way, one guy had a couple of mullet and Bass.

My question is even though we tried differant methods ie Red Gill and sandeel lures along with crab, lugg, squid. Used a portland rig with a 4-5 ft trace Fish finder was showing fish at a range of depths from 7.5 mtrs. we didn't have so much as tickle.

Do you thimk it was just unlucky or can anyone advise of how I can improve for next time, we were out for about 3 hours so fished the last part of the flood followed by 2 hours ebb tide.

lovelly sunny day but went home hungry

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks for now

Dave

Dave - welcome - anypics of the restoration to show us?

A portland rig with lures etc needs a moving tide and the boat to be on the drift - otherwise you need to drop the portland and add your own movement in to the lures.

Pop along tonight to the club meeting and pick a few brains!!!

Rob

Thanks for that Rob, would like to come to meetings but it is a round trip of nearly 5 hours ,so I will have to rely on the email contact.

Was I right about the chanel 6 for call up on ?

Have a good meeting and look forward to catching up with whats going on via the forum.

Thanks

Dave

Suggest you dont rely on fishfinder to find fish in the harbour as there is much weed and debris in the water that looks like fish on the screen. Ragworm is a natural bait in the harbour and will provide a variety of species on occasion. Live bait for bass. Shrimp rigs also produce at times.

Dontt forget Poole Harbour has a bass nursery area where fishing for bass from a boat is prohibited between 30 April and 1 November each year. the line is from Jerry's point on 011 degrees true through Brownsea Castle to Salterns Marina.

Hi all

Thanks to Martin for confirming chanel 6 I will use it again next time and hopefully catch up with some of you. also Pete nice to know i was watching weed , oh well suppose we all have to learn. makes me feel a bit better though, at least it wasn't the fish avoiding me.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm not the worlds expert on the Harbour... but the ground infront of the castle has only produced bait fish for me and a few larger Pollack on feathers. Its rocky very close in (8m or less) where the bait is, and flat sand and featureless further out.

So my advice would be to find some different ground on the fishfinder, and fish the slopes and gullies.

You probably would do better with ragworm as Peter suggests.

Good Luck rolleyes.gif

Paul

Edited by Sinbad

They do get some lure caught fish just outside the nursary area, but remember that the recent weather has really coloured the water so lures are very limited due to the bad vis.

As others have said try baits instead, with rag you may get one of the plaice, flounders or small bass from just inside or just outside of the harbour.

Tight Lines

Charlie