Needles Trip 03/07/10

Overrun

This is our autumn/winter route to the 'carpark' or though Richi the organiser on the day, is well known for pushing further south to the spoil ground when conditions allow.

The 8 of us departed Keyhaven at 06:30. Talk about fitness levels, did I miss something, was it a race? They tore off down the Solent, quicker than you can say 'Tope'.

Being more accustomed to a gentle drift on the ebb at 2-3knots, bit of shock to the system doing 6 knots most of the way to the Needles.

user posted image

Conditions very pleasant early on, Mackerel almost absent, the fishing dire until the flood began, then a passing Pollock jumped on the parked hokkai:

user posted image

Rod 2 claimed a Starry Smoothound of around 8lb to double Squid on a 6/0, closely followed by a nice Black Bream on the same rig!

user posted image

Around midday the forecast F4 from the SW began to kick-up the sea, soon after we started the return journey.

Headed back through the big gap, quite a washing machine (not my pics):

user posted image

user posted image

Once again, it was paddle all the way :rolleyes laugh.gif although wind behind. Arrived at the Trap, somewhat bigger and rougher than past trips. Worryingly, all the boats were either remaining in the Solent or passing close to Hurst. We ploughed straight into the middle cool.gif .

user posted image

Have to say it was great fun, the odd wave landing in my lap and swamping the Scupper. Noticed Paul appeared to stop as I shot past, thought he must be having a play. But no, the anchor had deployed itself, right in the middle of the Trap, fortunately not reaching the bottom. No question of recovering it until clear of the rough water, knocked a couple of knots off his progress laugh.gif.

Think Ben, Steve & Andy were racing as by the time we entered the last slog along the back-bars, and up to Keyhaven, were well ahead.

Arrived back at the launch having paddled pretty much all of the 10 nautical mile round trip. The Trap and Needles were an absolute blast, can't wait for next time.

Thanks to all for making such a great day.

Cheers

James

Edited by Overrun

Mad Mad Mad .......but hey it sounds like you had fun.!!

Bet ur arms aches tomorrow James !!!

Who among you had time to take Photos in that washing machine !!!

Absolutely barkin'

Well done on the fish front though !!

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

what do you carry in case fog or mist comes in so other boats can see you on radar thanks

Nothing! try to avoid fog at the trip planning stage, but it does happen. Not practical to carry a passive reflector(that's effective) and the active one's are rather expensive.

I'm hoping other boats will be travelling slowly if foggy.