2 questions

Gnasher

Hey- 2 questions here, any help appreciated-

Q!)Wheel bearings- its happened more than once now that when i try and take the bearing off to change it, the tapered bearing frame is stuck solid to the axel. i have tried everything to move it, beating it with hammer and bolster, heating it up, etc and it still wont move. there seemed to be enough grease in there to. I even tried using a hacksaw but that wouldn't touch it. i would have used my grinder to cut it off but thats broke sad.gif any ideas... i cant take the boat out until i have done it..

Q2)The cabin window has popped out from its rubber seal case and i can't get it back in at all. i have tried using screw drivers to put it back in place, but failing ohmy.gif I have heard that there is a way using string and soapy water? is someone leading me on as i wouldn't have a clue how that would work.

cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

Re your question 2.

I had a window like you describe in my first boat, and changed all of the windows.

The soapy water and string trick failed for me too.

It sounds like you have a fixed seal around the window opening, with a lip inside that for the window to sit in. Within the outer face of the seal is a groove...for a rubber insert which tensions the whole system up. It was this that I couldn't get in.

I bought a tool like a screwdriver with a diamond shaped hollow tip, through which you pass the rubber insert ...which is a tight fit within the "diamond".

By soaping up the groove (no sniggers at the back) and running the tool tip slowly along the groove, you can lay/insert the rubber insert neatly in place. Best to start at the top dead centre of the window, to avoid the risk of a join at the bottom where water can collect. Make the final cut slightly over-long to get a tight fit.

A smart man could make such a tool from a wire coat-hanger (part of everyone's on-board spares kit I hope!) and a pair of pliars.

Not sure if that's what you have, but if so, good luck!

Mike

Yep...... I can vouch for the method and plenty of washing up liquid....

Also Mike saying start at top centre to avoid the join in bottom leg.....may sound a bit extreme but nothing worse than a drippy leak onto stuff stored on the cabin/cuddy.

still not an easy task so good luck !!!

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Dan, if you need to borrow grinder/disc cutter always have one or two hanging around waiting to make some noise/sparks! my neighbours love them!

But have just looked where youre based so a bit of trek to come over to kinson where i am but youre welcome if you need to.

Mike.

ps the string method does work on car windows, used to do it years ago but now recently.

Edited by bassncodformeplease