Gifts to Cuban fishermen

Afishionado

Those of you at Septembers meeting will remember (I hope) that I put in a request for old, surplus, and 'tried it once but didn't like it' fishing tackle to be donated as gifts to Cuban fishermen.

For those who weren't there or have forgotten already (forgotten what? blink.gif ) here is the background..........

I'm going on holiday to Cuba in October and Cuba is an odd set up to us in the first world. The only 'Cuban ' shops open to nationals sell only basics and the locals pay in Cuban Pesos. It is illegal for them to own $US, or even shop in a 'dollar shop'. There are no fishing tackle shops in Cuba. So even if they could afford it there is nothing to buy. They fish with string wrapped round an empty plastic bottle, so even 3m of mono' for a trace is a luxury. Hooks are used untill they wear away etc.

So here's the thing. I want to take with me as much old fishing gear as I can to DONATE to these ordinary working Joes that I will be standing on the rocks fishing with. To us what is the rubbish at the bottom of our tackle box's to them is untold luxury and pleasure.

If you guys can bring what you can spare to the OCTOBER meeting I will take it on.

I am also going to take some photo's of this and write up a press release to send to various publications on my return. I think what is basicly free kudos will reflect very well on the club and it's activities.

Mad Mike

What new role? I missed last night?????

Mike - I will also sort out a few bits, just tell me when and where you need em'....

We have to be careful though guys....could this be mearly a smoke screen for Mike to get a load of new tackle FOC before he goes away!!!! ph34r.giftongue.giftongue.gif

• 3 weeks later...