Trailer Breakdown cover....

Rob

OK, so I borrowed a friends trailer to do a "quick" trip to the tip on Friday morning (beat the Sat rush!).

Well, 2.5 hours later I returned home.

One of the tyres blew out and there was no spare! weep.gif

So what to do! I called the RAC "Sorry sir the trailer is not covered, only the car".

Basically when I renewed and asked "would a trailer breakdown be covered", they must have understood that to mean "If my car breaks down would you recover the trailer that is 100%!".

So what to do - The AA suggest they would cover a faulty trailer, but on previous experience do I believe them?

I hear that Green Flag will only cover you if you join their Maday cover, but you have to be a member of the Caravan Club to get it (an extra

Rob - I believe a standard (non-Caravan Club) Green Flag policy will cover a trailer up to 3.5 tonnes. That should be big enough! The Mayday option is the only one I've seen that will cover a trailer of any size. They used to segment these two products by length of trailer, which always seemed a bit crackers since it was the same vehicles attending, but now it's done by weight there is less to choose between them.

I've used Mayday/Green Flag for years and always found them very good. My experience of the AA with a trailer was very different.

Hope this helps

Duncan

Edited by bathclaret

Duncan,

I haev spoken to Green Flag and they will only recover ther trailer if there is a prblem with the car. So a broken stub or collapsed bearing on the trailer itself is not covered.

Rob

Edited by Rob

I'm sure that's not right Rob. I've checked my policy documents and the Green Flag web site and, so long as the trailer is being towed (by the insured car) at the time of the incident, then the trailer is definitely covered for faults on the trailer.

"Your Green Flag Rapid Breakdown Cover includes cover for any caravan and trailer you are towing up to a weight limit of 3.5 tonnes, so you can be sure that with Green Flag you are fully covered."

Their definition of "insured vehicle" in the small print includes a trailer/caravan within the specified weight/size limits, so a problem with the trailer counts as a problem with the insured vehicle, so long as it's being towed at the time.

The Mayday option covers a breakdown fault with the trailer "whether you are towing or not".

In recent years my Dad has had 3 incidents losing wheels off on his caravan (wheel studs sheared, wheel bearing collapsed), on each occasion no fault with the towcar, and every time Greeg Flag recovered the unit no problem.

Good news - he's now given up caravanning!

Duncan

Thanks Duncan - I have called Green Flag customer services and the emergency call line and both agreed that a broken trailer is covered!

So 15 years of RAC membership cancelled and Green Flag ordered!

They did say that the max length was 21ft for the trailer but for most of us that will be OK.

Cheers

Rob

(Green Flag's newest member!)

Edited by Rob

No problem Rob, glad you got sorted out.

Without dwelling on this, I think they're even wrong about the 21' length issue. THat USED to be the case, which is what pushed me over to MayDay originally (where there was no length restriction) but I think you'll find on checking the policy that the only stipulation now is <3.5 tonnes.

Anyway - let's just hope you never need to test it out smile.gif

• 2 months later...

An update to confirm the Green Flag service works!

Yesterday we got away for an early start for an early bass. That was until a trailer tyre blew on the A303.

No problem I thought - I have a spare, a jack and a socket for the outsize 27mm nuts on the trailer. So far, so good.

... then I tried to get the spare off its carrier. Same size studs, but 24 mm nuts!

I have to confess the air turned blue. Anyway - Green Flag were there within the hour and didn't quibble at all. The man had the right size socket and an 15 mins later we were on the way to West Bay. No bass, but STACKS of mackerel so the BBQ tonight should be tasty.

But why the hell were those nuts different? It's a Rapide trailer - worth checking if yours are what you expect.

Duncan

Edited by bathclaret