Drogue

Paul J

Do they make much of a difference? is tehy do what size would suit AWOL?

Absolutely essential on a Raider 18 Wheelhouse, otherwise you are either blown uptide, or with wind and tide together, downtide at a speed to match any sail boat running before the wind. However, deployment of a drogue holds the boat side on to the tide and so you get a perfect drift with the tide.

I've also got a spare if you need it.

Gordon H

I have a large sea anchor and a smaller one [that I think I won, that is really for a smaller boat.] but I took it to use just to hold the boat at a set angle on the drift.

It works but I do not usually bother with it. the large wheelhouse catches the wind a bit and usually means that the lines go sideways or aft

I have used them at anchor to stop the boat swinging, or to try to bring her around to tide against the wind.

Marginal success in medium tides, although a line over the stern is a pain.

I have tried to use them the same way in the harbour on breezy days floundering, but in shallow water with not much tide they are more trouble than they are worth.

better to set two anchors.

I believe the smaller one actually states what size boat its suitable for as a sea anchor. so there must be a range of sizes.

I hope that helps

Charlie biggrin.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

Without trying to highjack this thread, when deploying two anchors, how do you tighten up on the stern one to stop it draging and make sure it digs in? unsure.gif

If you pull in on the front warp you will loose position

I am sure it is obvious but it is a bit late. wink.gif

Dave

cool.gif

I would have thought using two anchors anywhere but slow running water would be unsafe.

I intend to use two when floundering etc.

I imagine you could drop the rear anchor, motor over the top of your " spot " and keep going a bit further, paying out line as you go. Then drop the forward anchor, Drift back to your "spot" and pay out line until you get there. Then pull in the slack on the rear one.

Or have I got it all wrong.

Jim smile.gif

This is a great thread........Forgive me I am a "know nothing " on this subject.

Gordon H......"with wind and tide together " how will the drogue help ??......it will be dragged directly downtide while the boat will be blown near enough in the same direction......UNLESS the wind is at an angle to the tide and the drogue is deployed at various locations on the windward side causing the boat to turn slightly, depending on the vectors involved? OR is windblown always the biggest vector in the situations when deploying a drogue.

Setting two anchors in slow running water..............does it matter if the rear anchor slips a bit.....just tighten up on the warp...or am I missing it AGAIN ??

Jim it sounds a bit dodgy dropping the rear anchor first then motoring up tide (above it ) to drop the main anchor.........Makes logistic sense but danger of warp in prop scenario........UNLESS motoring at a significant angle to the first drop (ie downwind )..and keeping warp at cockpit cleat until ready to tie off.

Hey ....have I answered my own Q's ???

Dave

Charlie biggrin.gif

Without trying to highjack this thread, when deploying two anchors, how do you tighten up on the stern one to stop it draging and make sure it digs in? unsure.gif

If you pull in on the front warp you will loose position

I am sure it is obvious but it is a bit late. wink.gif

Dave

cool.gif

Dave S, I am not sure that pin point accuracy is a factor when floundering, the only reason we rig two anchors is to stop the boat swinging all over the place.

Not only is the swinging uncomfortable it is also impossible to keep lines tight to see bites.

In shallow water I now use the anchor from my bow windlas, which is dropped first, then line payed out and boat reversed some distance before a second anchor is depoyed off the stern.

Take in bowline while paying out sternline untill both have reasonable scope and then tie off sternline and tighten up on bowline until fairly tight.

to lift let out bowline while taking in stern anchor, then lift bow anchor.

Jim as I said we only do this in the harbour in shallow slow water. No real need in stronger tides

Charlie biggrin.gif