tues....

alun j.

First proper day's fishing of my holidays....... so nice to slide out at full speed and off to the Ledge to get some mackeral [ easy ... 10 mins for about 20 ].

Never that keen fishing the western side on the ebb ..... so went out to 'X-ray' [thanks James, for guide] hoping to find main ingredient for 'raie au beurre noir' [one of my favourites ( and Rick Stein's)]..... but this was dogfish city; every drop, within a few mins. ; nonetheless these were big dogfish [ some of the biggest I've seen] and almost a fight from some!! James said to persevere.....I did for two hours and about 60 dogs later ..... but no rays.

Next tried near the end of the Ledge [ my little boat can whizz along at 20 mph. on nice calm water .... even ate my lunch as I travelled] .....slack water , drifted with Hokais and found plenty of pollack , but all small. Anchored as soon as tide started but only got hordes of pout,rattles from tiddly bream and masses of snags in rough bottom.

Moved back inshore , west side where the ledge drops steeply, about 1/2 way along....... site of much past success....... but unfishable with huge amounts of weed...... great lengths of kelp included!!........ so went back out and tried hooking up to pot buoy at several spots to find somewhere not too rough and out of weed flow........ second try proved ideal [ 3/4 way out] and straight into best bream fishing for me this year ... 6 fish between 2 and 3 pounds plus a few smaller ones and a bass for a bonus ........ NO DOGS ........!!!!

Together with fresh mackeral for dinner...... could only just manage to lift cool box out of boat at end of day ..... must sort out the freezer....am rapidly stocking up enough mackeral for winter [ ran out last year by jan. ].

Happy filleting.......

Alun.

Nice one Alun. It's so good to hear of someone having a great day out when the last time oneself was out it blew a hoolie and chopped up rough.

No no I'm not jealous (gnash gnash) at all mate good luck to you I say laugh.gif

The next few days look good for fishing too with Saturday forcast for maybe 30C inland, and gentle breezes at sea.

I wonder if there is a bait that is not attractive to doggies yet other fish love?

As for rays I have found a strip of Garfish to be the #1 bait.

Mad Mike

Nice one Alun. Reading your post I was gettig quite envious at the thought of that calm weather and fishing.

I was interested with your mark halfway along the ledge. I am sure this is where me and Mike stopped and caught a dogfish + weed - so seems we had same problem !!