Worms

Afishionado

'Snot really tackle talk but near enough........

I just picked up som rag worm from a new (to me) supplier. A guy called Alec whos advert I saw in the Echo.

The worms are perfect no broken ones and the average 9 to 10 inches long. All presented in fresh vermiculite between loose sheets of paper, supp;ied in their own plastic tray!! At

Mike,

Maybe youd like to post the details of this new chap??

Oh yes I see your point, but I didn't want to be accused of advertising for him sorta thing................

You will find his advert in the Echo under 'Shooting and Fishing' but how the hell one loads rag worm into a 12 guage Lord only knows!

His name is Alec he is to be found via his mobile 07970 895277.

Mad Mike

Mikey, do you know anyone who delivers live sandeels to Poole?? Also, how many of our readers are intersted in buying live eels, if I can get my hands on any??

Rich

Rich (by the way is that your name or description? biggrin.gif ) Unfortuneatly I dont knoe the answer to either question but.............

The guy Alec who supplies the worms was saying he wished he could get sandeels more often and that the 'Poole' sandeels were a lot smaller than the 'Weymouth' eels. SO it sounds like he might be the guy to have a chat with.

Mad Mike

Cheers Mikey..................I'll give BB a bell to see where he gets his from, and grab a tub full for next time I'm out. I just want to see if the eels make a difference to my Bass catches, as opposed to just using joeys.

I think I'm out next week again, so will get some for then, if anyone wants live eels next week, I'll get a tank full.

Rich

I cant find a supplier up this end of the solent Adam, thats why I'm going to trek down and buy a tank full, then re-sell excess eeels to make the journey worthwhile. If my system keeps em alive for a few days, I can collect fresh sea water from the quay nearby, so I dont see why they wont still be swimming when needed

Regards, and well done on the comp, Rich

Hi rich

I dabbled a bit in keeping live eels. I got them delivered from Devon!! a stone at a time. I found the secret to keeping them alive was not to use sea water!!....well not sea water from the sea. You can only do this if its almost continuously changed.

This is because of whats called "Organic load" .this is all the plankton,bacteria and algae that makes up sea water.As soon as you take it out of the sea it all dies polluting the water,killing the eels ohmy.gif

I found it best to use Pure RO (reverse osmosis) water.I have a RO filter in the garage biggrin.gif And a commercial salt mix,(the cheapest one's are from the shell fish industry)couple that with a large tank ,about 100 gallon and a hefty skimmer and hey presto you can a keep a stone of eels alive for weeks biggrin.gif

The outher thing I found was a thin layer of sand or gravel on the bottom .they hide in this reduceing stress,wich meens happy eels.

James