Friday last......

duncan

JIMBOB, a mate Dave and I headed out on Phaeton mid morning Friday aiming to take advantage of the promised 'cyclonic 2' that evening together with the 2300h high tide on the Ledge.

Well the weather remained snotty all day, with Solent CG reading out the same met - SW 3-4 decreasing cyclonic 2 then NW 3 and then giving the conditions at Lee on Solent as SW5!

Headed to Peveril for Mackerel and suggestions around a small bank inshore off ballard that should be sheltered............well it wasn't. Decided we might as well hang around off Swanage as anywhere and anchored over a bank just outside thet charter fleet. Radio sugested they wern't having fun and we left at LW slack having had a decent Thornback and a few dogs.

Ran over to Xray, picked up fresh bait in the bay on the way over, and settled down to the flood. Wind eased a touch, and was now with tide but still "snotty". Enjoyed great fun with pack tope to around 20, another smaller Thorny around 7lb(that attacked JIMBOB whilst being unhooked) and a few wooofers.

Decided conditions weren't goignto get worse and might get better (we wish) so moved off the end of the ledge looking for congers.

JIMBOB had a good fish on briefly - then the hook snapped. Otherwise we seemed to have our mackerel baits being attacked by crab and cuttlefish constantly. Saw tope and bass in the lights swimming on the surface by the boat but that was about it. Got back in just after 0100h having stayed well out in the bay and plotted our return back along our previous route to reduce the risk of pot/net lines........no great fun.

As duncan said it was a bit snotty out there, but we managed a few fish.

As for that ray bite!............aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Its still sore now!!

gutted I lost that conger, I had weakened the hook buy bending the hook while unhooking a tope, wich I then straightend with my pliers,Wont be makeing that mistake again!! mad.gif

thanks for the trip out duncan,one day we might get a calm sea! wink.gif

James